The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, March 29, 2010

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the March and April 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Tues, Mar 29.  I read paper, ate & tended Jackie & at 10:30 we went to bed. Got up & got ready & went in to a special relief society work day at 2: We came home at 4:

Wed, Mar 30.  I came home & Ivard wasn't home yet, worked overtime. I got ready & left Dean & Dale with Jackie & I went in & left car at Don's for greese job & oil change & we went to Boise to Dr. I lost 6 lbs. we went shopping then went to a place where you got all you wanted  to eat for 99 cents. It wasn't so hot.

Thurs, Mar 31.  Started tearing up our road getting ready to oil it.

Fri, Apr 1.  Ivard killed Turkey & cleaned it to sell 70's. weighed 22 lbs.

Sat, Apr 2.  Censes taker came. Kids played out side all day & Ivard & Ray pruned roses. Ray got supper & Ivard cut all the Kids hair. Max came & rode in to Stake House with Ivard - Gene & Ray to general priesthood conference by direct wire. about 8:30 Gail Lynda & Kids came & brought Ivard a decorated birthday cake & gal. dairy punch & they ate it when they got home at 10: Gail couldn't come on his birthday.

Sun, Apr 3.  No priesthood today. We watched general conference. Ray put ham roast on & we all went to sunday school. I spent all afternoon working on my income tax.

Mon, Apr 4.  Ray fixed hot cakes for supper. He went to Mutual with Pendeltons & Gene did chores & went with Max.

No comments: