Excerpts from the March 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Tues, Mar 8. I got up at 11:15 and made a salad & went in to relief society work day. had a real good dinner then I made a fancy cordory pillow. Kay called about 8: Gene went to Stake Supper for Priests.
Wed, Mar 9. Kay got Income tax refund. It was snowing when we came out to come home. & time I got out here it was blizzarding so hard I could hardly see to take Kids to school, roads were white - melted & sun came out this afternoon. Ivard went to bed at 4: till supper time. His stomach bothers him so he had milk toast. We ate & I worked on my cordory pillow. Ward Teachers came.
Thurs, Mar 10. had letter from Jerry. Ivard got ready & went in to Dr. & he sent him to hospital for exrays then he went back to Dr. & he got home at 5:45. Kids got home from primary just before Ivard came. Ivard's ulcers are no worse than they were.
Fri, Mar 11. I read in Alma until noon. Ray scrubbed & cleaned good so he could go away tomorrow.
Sat, Mar 12. Finished reading Alma. Ivard had taken Ray in to City Hall to work, for merit badge. I fixed out my & Ivards Personal record sheet for genealogy Work shop tomorrow.
Sun, Mar 13. Ivard went to Priesthood with Max Barlow & Gene & Ray. Me & Kids went to sunday school. Dale went home with Butlers & Dean brought Mike Perry home. I worked on my relief society lesson.
Mon, Mar 14. guy came & fixed leg on T.V. so its OK. so we will keep it. We ate at 7: & Ray left for Mutual with neighbor, Pendleton. Gene did chores & went with Max.
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment