Excerpts from the February 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Mon, Feb 22. I came home from work & took Kids to school. I made tea & read paper & sorted cloths & washed 3 batches & read 2nd Nephi. Jackie & I went to bed at 12:30.
Tues, Feb 23. I read Books of Jacob - Enos - Jarom - Omni & The Words of Mormon.
Wed, Feb 24. Came home & Ivard was to work again. I took little Kids to school & made me some tea & read the Book of Mosiah then Jackie & I went to bed at 12:45. Ivard got called out at midnite again, time & one half.
Thurs, Feb 25. Dad was home in bed when I got home so I took Kids to school. I got up at 3: & we went to town & got groc. it was my pay day. We were out of everything. We went to Hales & bought a new R.C.A. T.V. & traded our other in on it. so now we havn't a record player. We got Jackie a trike too.
Fri, Feb 26. had a blizzard last nite & during nite. Roads were slippery out this side of Nampa & from Caldwell to Nampa. I just got to sleep when some on Knocked & woke me up. Ivard & Jackie were in tub so I got up & let the guys in with T.V. then I set & watched it. It wiggled around & Ivard turned it up & one caster was in short & the leg was split so I called Hales & they said they'd get us another. at 1: Ivard took Jackie & I in to Stake House to relief society leadership meeting. I was called on twice to read parts of lesson & to close with prayer.
Sat, Feb 27. at 2:30 we got ready & all went over to Gails until 6: then They went with us over to Owyhee Ward to their reunion. Had a real nice roast beef supper.
Sun, Feb 28. Gene & Ray went to Priesthood with Max & little Kids woke us up at 11:15 & Ivard & I got ready & we all went to sunday school. got signed up for Genealogy Work shop to run 12 weeks. We came home & I fried me & Ivard halibut. Ray fixed them barbacue. Ray went to church early with Pendletons to quire practice. He gave a 20 min talk.
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment