An early memory
Kay posted the following comment after reading the third installment of the history on Nelson Holder Ritchie, which concludes in today's issue. It represents one of his earliest memories if not the very earliest memory in his young life:
"A comment about Olive Ellen Ritchie. She was my grandmother, and as far as I know the earliest thing that I can remember in my life. I distinctly remember the day that she died. She had had a heart attaack or problems with her heart while attending a basketball game that my dad and uncles were playing. They brought her home and the condition worsened. They called an ambulance and while waiting for the ambulance she sat on a 55 gallon oil drum in the driveway of my dad's old homestead on highway 89 in North Salt Lake. I remember someone picking me up and she gave me a big hug and kiss. I remember crying and saying grandma don't die. I was only 3 years and 4 months old at that time."
Lyle's family
Sometime last week, or possibly the week before, I talked on the phone with Lyle. He has now returned from his visit to Washington, where he visited various of his kids and grandkids. His return trip was uneventful.
Crystal Price reported that her boys have been studying the American Revolution this year and picked up a really great book at the library [The American Revolution for Kids]. On her blog, The Prices, she details how they made some homemade root beer, just like Samuel Adams's father did during colonial times.
Gail's family
We excerpt from a report Kate posted on her family's blog, Cleverly Invested, on January 17: "It's become a tradition each year to go to the Black Island Farms here in Syracuse. . . . There are animals to see, slides to go down, hot cocoa and doughnuts to snack on, a corn box, and much more. This year the highlight was the corn mazes covering 24 acres of ground. One side was cut into the shape of Edward's face, the other side was Jacob's. Who do you think we explored? You guessed it, TEAM JACOB all the way. Brian took the boys and I took the girls and we separated about half way through. We had the map, which unfortunately for the girls is not an advantage when I'm leading the way! The boys came back from the exit looking for us once they finished the maze since they knew we might be lost forever. After the maze we went into the GYNORMOUS pumpkin patches (which you have to ride on a tractor to get to) and we each got to take home a pumpkin. We were cold and tired, but it was another great year at the Black Island Farms." Numerous pictures are posted on the blog.
Kay's family
Kay spent some time in the hospital in Lima but is now out and apparently doing well. "I went to the hospital before work, during lunch and after work yesterday, "Karen wrote on January 28. "Kay is in good spirits, but is anxious to get out of the hospital. They are continuing to give him the IV antibiotic about every 4 hours. They also are giving him something for his stomach and an anti-coagalent shot in the stomach. His leg is still elevated all of the time. He said it is not much fun for sleeping. There is a chance he might get to come home today. Thanks to your prayers, he has responded to treatment and he did not develop thrombosis.
"Our foot doctor that we use in the mission, and who has been treating Kay's feet without charge, went to see him yesterday. She came in the office, and I told her his one foot had pain when he would walk on it. I thought he might have a wart. Anyway, while she was there she asked Kay if he was walking a lot and he replied that he was. He has been on the treadmill for an hour at a time. She asked what he was wearing for exercise clothing. I had bought him some loose bike pants made to be worn in the winter while biking. It is summer in Peru. Anyway, she told him that cellulitis can form because of lack of ventilation while exercising. If so, this is the probable cause of his cellulitis. But, whatever the cause, we will take precautions against it's reoccurrence."
Dean's family
Since the first of the year I've had a cold that just doesn't want to go away. Last week it morphed into a sinus infection, and I had a terrible few days before the antibiotic kicked in. When I told my doctor it was only the second time in my life I had ever had a sinus infection, he told me I was really fortunate because some people have that many every year.
On January 21 Michael received his treatment of radioactive iodine to kill his thyroid. That made him radioactive, and he had to remain in complete isolation from midday Thursday until noon the following Tuesday. He was sequestered away in his bedroom, and none of the children could see him during those five days. Shauna was able to take food and drink into him. He is now back among the land of the living.
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment