The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, February 15, 2010

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the February 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Mon, Feb 15.  Gene didn't feel good so he stayed home & he tended Jackie.

Tues, Feb 16.  Worked on my relief society lesson until noon then Ivard got up & I gave it to him, took an hr. It was on Wm. Byrd & Michel Guillaume Jean de Crevecour, I really liked him On "Whats an American." Ivard took Jackie & I to relief society & I gave my lesson.

Wed, Feb 17.  Dale had gone on bike to school so I kept Dean home to tend Jackie. I went to Kotters & rode to Boise to Dr. with her. I only lost 3 lbs but it made 11 for month. He said I was doing good.

Thurs, Feb 18.  Got letter from Mother & Jerry. at 1: I got up & we went to Nampa & paid our payment on place $1000. + 6% Int. $900. Ivard went & got Gene at 6: They brought our fresh meat home for freezer. Pig we had killed.

Fri, Feb 19.  I came home & took Dean to school. Dale went on bike. Ivard has flue, had a shot. wrote Kay & Lyle each 9 page letter.

Sat, Feb 20.  My nite off. Gene did chores & made hot cakes for breakfast. Kays room mate had called from Boise & wanted us to bring Kays base ball shoes & mit over so Ivard went to Boise & watched Dee wrestle & gave him Kays stuff. Gene took pick-up & went in to school to go to Boise & play ball, got beat. last game of season.

Sun, Feb 21.  Ivard ordained Gene a Priest & Gene adminestered sacrament in J. sunday school. I started to read Book of Mormon & read 1st Nephi.

No comments: