Excerpts from the February 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Mon, Feb 8. Got letter from Jerry & Kay. It rained all nite & this morning & rained hard from 3:30 on tonite.
Tues, Feb 9. I came home from work & went to bed at 10: I got up at 11:15 & went to relief society work day. We had a real good dinner. I painted me an orchid on a hankey, we learned textile paints today. I gave a short review of lesson for next week inviteing women to relief societ. I gave closeing prayer.
Wed, Feb 10. Kay called & wanted us to call Bishop to write letter to his Bishop so he could go to Temple to be baptized for dead. Dale, Jackie & I went in to school & picked Ray up & we went & bought him a scout suit, Dale some pajamas, me a perse. sent Kay a valentine & $5. Came home & fixed rest of Valentines & Ivard mailed them when he went to work. Sent Mother & Jerry $5. in there valentine.
Thurs, Feb 11. Ray came home on bus & made potatoe soup for Kids. I got up at 3: I sewed stuff on scout suit. Ivard & I & Ray went in to church to Scout banquet & court of honor. Ray became a Star Scout & pined a pine on me.
Fri, Feb 12. got Valentine from Kay. Ivard tended Jackie & washed some cloths. We ate at 5:30 & Gene did chores & Ivard & Dean took him to ball games. got beat
Sat, Feb 13. Gene & Ivard made 3 trips to Caldwelll sale & took 3 cows & Gene's weiner pigs. Ray made stew & we ate at 2:00 & Gene took Dean in to church to Dance practice & at 3: Gene left for Twin Falls to play ball, got beat. I didn't sleep much, Kids Kept wakeing me up. Gail, Lynda & Kids came about 4: & we left Kids with Ray & went after Dean at Stake House then Ivard took me to florist shop & bought me a big green & white plant with big leaves for Valentine $6. came home & ate & did chores, only have 3 cows left.
Sun, Feb 14. Gene & Ray went to Priesthood in Pick-up. We got up at 11:30 & all went to sunday school. I got a cake & icecream.
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment