The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, December 28, 2009

7 A final word

Another new year is soon upon us. As I was preparing this issue of the newsletter (a task I've been at for some 36 years since the first issue back in September 1973), I had to go down into my basement storage room and search through the box full of my mother's diaries to find the one for 1960 and to put the one for 1959 away.

I actually remember 1960. How did it happen that it was 50 years ago? I must be getting old.

Milestones such as the changing of years or birthdays or anniversaries are times to reflect and ponder and evaluate the course of our lives and to determine whether we're on course and headed in the direction we want to be going. This marvelous test we're in, this classroom called life, will some day end. None of us knows when our particular final is scheduled. None of us, I suspect, ever accomplishes all we would like to accomplish, ever learns all we would like to learn, or ever serves all we would like to serve. But the key, at the time of our departure from this life, is to be on the right path and headed in the right direction. And then we will have passed the necessary tests and our rest will be glorious.

No comments: