Excerpts from the December 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Mon, Dec 21. I came home from work & took Dean & Dale over to Grange hall to practice their Xmas programe then Kay & Jackie & I went to Nampa to bank & paid taxes then we went to Nyssa to take Gail a Xmas tree but they already had one.
Tues, Dec 22. I came home from work & took little Kids to school. little Kids got out at 2: & Kay went & got them. Gene came home with Ivard at 4: & Ray came on bus, they don't go back until after New Years. Me, Ray & little Kids went in to church to Xmas programe & Santa Clause.
Wed, Dec 23. I came home from work. We are off for next 5 nites. I went to bed until noon then Kay Ray & I went to town & Ray did his Xmas shopping & I finished most of mine & Kay got Claudias present. Ivard went down basement & painted Jackies cup board for Xmas. Gene did chores & killed turkey for Ivard to clean in the morning.
Thurs, Dec 24. I wrapped presents & Ivard cleaned turkey then at 2: Ivard & I took Kay over to Claudias in Pick-up & we went on over to Ontario to G. & B. & got desk for Gene & Ray & a ward robe for Jackie then we picked Kay up at 4: & came to Nampa & got Dean & Dales dresser & finished up our shopping. Ray had work done & supper ready & we ate & they did chores & got to bed early. Then Ivard & I played Santa Clause & we were to bed by 10:30.
Fri, Dec 25. Gene got up & milked & I put turkey on & Ivard took moves of all the presents & tree then we got Kids up & opened presents. Had a good Xmas. We played games & put a puzzle together. Gail - Lynda & Kids came about 2: & opened their presents & gave us ours. We ate about 4:, turkey sandwiches, olives, pickles, salad ect. fruit cocktail & fruit cake. Gene went home with Gail for few days, left at 5: Kay went over to Claudias then brought her over here about 10:
Sat, Dec 26. I got up & made Ivards lunch & he went to work at 7:30 A.M. I went back to bed. Ray got up & milked. I got up at 10:00 & washed cloths all day & played games with Kids.
Sun, Dec 27. Sara called & said Stella, Jack & Aunt Esther were in wreck Xmas eve. Aunt Esther was killed outright & Jack died this morning. Stella isn't too bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment