Excerpts from the May 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Mon, Dec 14. They brought the washer home this morning. Cost $53. to fix. I washed 2 batches & hung out. I went to bed at noon. Ray went ward teaching with Max.
Tues, Dec 15. I came home from work. I took Kids to school & ate & me & Jackie went to bed. I got up at noon & read my relief society lesson over & got ready & went to relief society. I gave my lesson today. Gene took pick-up to school so he'd have a way home from Game at Vale, got beat.
Wed, Dec 16. I hurried home from work & got ready while Ivard took little boys to school then I went to Nampa & picked up Mrs. Kotter, Mavis & Mrs Newland & I drove to Boise to Dr. Cudmore for my check up. I only lost 1 lb but it made 11 lbs for month I lost 2 in. on hips.
Thurs, Dec 17. Silver Wedding Ann. Ivard gave me a diamond ring set. Ivard & I went back to Nampa to Harmony Cafe & had supper, Shrimp. We were going to show but Gene & Ray didn't come home from school, game & practice, then they went to Mutual Xmas party. We came home & did chores & I laid off. We went to bed early.
Fri, Dec 18. Got anniversary card from Jerry. I got up & cooked Kids breakfast & Ivard took little boys to school then we wrapped presents & got Lyle & Mothers pkg. ready to mail & I went to town at noon to finish getting things for Jerrys pkg. then I went to relief society leadership meeting & social. I took Dean & Dale to do their Xmas Shopping.
Sat, Dec 19. Got pkg from Lyle. I came home in fog & nearly got hit. at 11: Gene got me up & we took 2 cows to Caldwell to sale. Came home & got most of my Xmas cards ready to mail & at 3:30 Dean & I took them in & mailed them.
Sun, Dec 20. I came home from work. I ate & went to bed. Gene had chores done & made hot cakes for Kids. None of them went to sunday school. Ivard & Kids put tree up after Ray changed everything around & cleaned good. I helped little Kids wrap Xmas presents & I wrapped some.
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment