Excerpts from the April 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Wed, Apr 20. On the way home from work I stoped at Charlett Taylors & Helen came over & we exercised then I went over to Helens & got a big boquet of Lilac's. Ivard had taken Kids to school & pick-up stoped on him, battery was shot so I went & pushed him home.
Thurs, Apr 21. Got up & at 1: went to town in pick up & I bought Ivard a new tire for it & I went & got material for Jackie 2 new coats, her cloths out of laway, & got me 2 dresses, 2 rose bushes & some cabbage & shortening. Came home at 4: & guy came out & sold us a Lindsay water softner supposed to install it Sat. Cost $489. & he let us have it for $400.
Fri, Apr 22. Ivard went to town to see about getting windshied fixed. I spent until noon getting my lesson to give at leadership then I had a bath & got me & jackie ready & Ivard never showed up until 1:45 & I was supposed to be there at 1:30. Then cows were in neighbors & he had to get them. I was too tired to go alone so I got mad & went to bed at 2: & never got up until time to go to work.
Sat, Apr 23. I came home from work & went to bed. I got up after noon & Ray was cleaning house & Ivard & Gene were watching ball game. Dean & I went to town & got groc. Came home & I worked on my genelogy assignment for sunday.
Sun, Apr 24. I came home from work & went to bed. Ray went to Priesthood with Max & Gene went in Pick-up. I got up at 11: & me & Kids went to sunday school. Came home & made meat loaf & cooked carrots & aspargus. Sis was bawling with ear ache. Gene took Kids to church & Ivard tended Jackie.
Mon, Apr 25. I washed 5 batches of cloths while we went to town & took car to Marv's body shop for new windshield. Ivard got regular job today 11: P.M.
Tues, Apr 26. I got up at 1: & Jackie & I got ready & went to relief society.
Wed, Apr 27.
No comments:
Post a Comment