Excerpts from the April 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Wed, Apr 13. I came home from work & got ready & went to Boise to Dr. I lost 3 lbs, makes 9 for month & 55 all together. I got home at 1: At 1:30 the guy delivered my new Singer slant-o-matic. cost $349.
Thurs, Apr 14. Came home from work. I got up at 12:30 & Jackie & I went to school to Dean & Dales easter programe. I was room mother & had to take cookies help serve & pay 1.00 for candy & Punch.
Fri, Apr 15. Kids didn't have to go to school today or until Tuesday, easter vacation. got income tax back from Webster Caldwell & I had to pay him $100. for makeing it out.
Sat, Apr 16. Ivard & Gene fixed ditch then at 10: we took Ray in to city office to sell tickets then go clean church yard. The rest of us went to Nyssa & visited Gail & had lunch. Gene stayed over for week end. Ivard milked then Ivard & I got ready & went in to Stake House to Stake Conference for parents at 8:30 Apostle Huge Brown was up.
Sun, Apr 17. easter. I got up early & made a big Kettle of potatoe salad, stuffed eggs & made 2 pineapple pies with cocoanut crusts & we ate & all got ready & went in to Stake Conference. Ray had to be there at 9:15 to usher then we hardly got a seat. It was real good, apostle Hugh B. Brown was up. we dashed home after & ate dinner & Ivard tended Dale & Jackie & Ray, Dean & I went to afternoon session. Ray went to nite session with Pendelton girl.
Mon, Apr 18. We went & borrowed some money from P.F.C. to pay Oregon Income Tax & water. had to bring guy out to see furniture mailed our income taxes.
Tues, Apr 19. I came home from work & took Dean to school. I washed some clothes & read paper & got my relief society lesson. Got up at 1:15 & we went to relief society. Dale stayed home with bad cold so he tended Jackie. Ivard picked me up at 3:30 & we went to Nyssa after Gene, he had gone to Payette to ball game with Gail & we waited until 6:30 then came home.
No comments:
Post a Comment