The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, June 22, 2009

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the June 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Mon, June 22. Ray went to work at 7: & Kay went at 8: Ivard & Gene put cultivators on & he cultivated beets & Gene & Dean hoed. I changed all the beds & sorted clothes & washed 7 batches. Kay came home at 6: & him & Gene went to church soft ball game, to play.

Tues, June 23. Ray went to work & Kay, Gene & Dean hoed beets then a guy came & got Gene to help in hay so Ivard & little kids hauled hay all afternoon.

Wed, June 24. Kids got up & did beets. Ivard & I got ready & were in Caldwell at 9: met Mr. Bishop & we got all settled up on our old place & got rest of our money, little over $2000 after paying bar & exp. Kay got Claudia a birthday present.

Thurs, June 25. Kids got up at 5:30 & hoed beets. I mixed 6 loaves of bread & made a pan of biscuits, made a cake & cooked liver, beets, greens & potatoes & we ate at 12:30. Kay left at 4:30 & went over to Claudia's (18th birthday) went to Boise to supper & show.

Fri, June 26. Cloudy & cold. At 4:30 Ray left with Max Barlow for overnight scout trip. I made Barbacue & milk shakes for kids supper.

Sat, June 27. got called back to Simplot tonight. Ray got home at 6: & went out & did 2 rows beets. I went to bed until time to go to work.

Sun, June 28. I came home from work & went to bed & Kay, Gene & Ray went to Priesthood & Sunday school. Ivard was too late, checking water. I got up at 12:30 & cooked dinner & we ate & at 2:30 Ivard left for work & I went back to bed but didn't get much sleep the Kids made so much noise.

No comments: