The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the December 1960 and January 1961 diaries of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho, but were visiting Ken and Berniece Palmer and Grandma Batt in Grantsville, Utah.

Thurs, Dec 29.  Mother cut me out a new print dress. We put a jig saw puzzle together then Ivard - Dean, Curtis, Jackie & I walked up to store then we came back & had lunch & put another puzzle together. Kids played over to Bernieces most of day.

Fri, Dec 30.  Mother finished my dress & I pressed it & wore it home. We ate over to Bernieces & at 6: Ken & Berniece took us to Salt Lake to catch traine. the train left at 7:30. Jackie was crying with earache. I fixed her a bed & got her to sleep.

Sat, Dec 31.  We got to Nampa at 7:15 the train was over an hr. late. called Gene & he came & got us. I unpacked & Ivard took Ray over to the Bishops to go to Idaho City to church camp sleighing. Ray came home with a sore stomache, run in to tree & got a gash & bruise.

Sun, Jan 1.  Gene did chores and Ivard - Gene & Ray went to Priesthood & sunday school. Fast day so we didn't have breakfast. At 11:30 me & little Kids went to sunday school. Came home at 2: & cooked dinner & we ate. Gene showed Ray how to do dishes in new dish washer. Ivard & Jackie have such a cold they doctored & went to bed at 7: & the rest of us went to church. They ask me to be President of Gospel Doctrine class.

Mon, Jan 2.  I got up & cooked a big breakfast, bacon, eggs, toast, cocoa & grapefruit. Kids played games then went outside & played awhile. Ivard, Gene & Ray went to Middleton & Kids played Kuna & won. Gene made 28 points.

Tues, Jan 3.  Kids went back to school today, after holidays. Ivard took down Xmas tree. At 2: I went to bank & had Int. drawn up on all our bank accounts & put my dimes in bank $9.60. Went to sale & got Kay some ties & socks for his mission & Gene, Ray & Dean & got some for Genes birthday. Ray had supper ready. Ivard & I went in to ward leadership Ivard has to talk in church sunday nite & I helped him find books when we came home.

Wed, Jan 4.  This afternoon I got licence plates for car. Came home & Kids were home from school. Ray got supper & we ate. Gene took Ray over to a scout meeting.

Thurs, Jan 5.  little Kids got out of school at 1:30 for teachers meeting. We played scrabble then Ivard took little Kids to Primary & while he waited for them he got the licence for his pick-up. Ray went over to church after school to help primary kids learn how to tie knots.  We ate & Ivard & I took Gene & Ray & a load of Kids to Homedale to play ball I was score Keeper - Kids won.

Fri, Jan 6.  Ray got supper & we ate & Ivard Gene & Ray went in to High school game & I played Scrabble with Dean & Dale.

Sat, Jan 7.  Ivard & I took the icebox over to Ontario to G&B & left it to be fixed & they let us take one to use until it is. We bought Dean & Dale a bunk bed. stoped at Gails a few min. We came home & Ivard got called to work so I took him in at 3: We droped Dean off at Allens & he stayed all nite. We made the new beds & Dale slept in his.

Sun, Jan 8.  Ivard - Gene & Ray went to priesthool & sunday school. I washed my & Jackies hair then she bathed with me & we went to sunday school. I took charge of class, I'm new President. After sunday school Ray went to Parma to "Order of Arrow" meeting. Gail, Lynda & Kids came just as we got home from church. I cooked dinner & we ate. Gail & Gene froze a freezer of icecream. We all went to church before Gail left. Ray was youth speaker & Ivard had to talk 10 min. on genelogy. They did good.

Mon, Jan 9.  Gene stayed home today & worked on his lessons all day. Dale was home in bed with bad cold.  Dean & Jackie vomited.

Tues, Jan 10.  Kids went to school. Dale was home again in bed. I went to relief society.

Wed, Jan 11.  Gene was only one that went to school today & he didn't feel very good.

No comments: