The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the December 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Thurs, Dec 1.  Got home from Salt Lake. I got in to Nampa on 6:30 A.M train & had call boy call boy Ivard at Boise & tell him to pick me up, he was just leaving for home.

Fri, Dec 2.  Gene went to work with Ivard & sold candy bars. Jackie got me up at 1:30 & we went after Kids, got nearly there before I found out it was only 1:30 so we came back & I got diary up. I went after Kids at 3:30.

Sat, Dec 3.  I came home from work & went to bed & Jerry woke me up at noon when him & Ray got home from selling Xmas decorations & cards & we went to Adrian  & Nyssa selling cards. Jerry Ray, Dean & I. we went to Gails awhile & they sold him 2 boxws cards & a Xmas decoration.

Sun, Dec 4.  Jerry - Gene & Ray went to Priesthood at 9:15. Ivard got up & took little Kids to sunday school & I never heard any thing. Jerry got dinner & woke me up at 2:30 to make gravy. Ray delivered fast offerings

Mon, Dec 5.  Bishop called to say Kay was going to Andes Mission.

Tues, Dec 6.  I had to get pushed clear to Caldwell to start car & it was so cold & wind shield was froze up. Ivard took car in to Dobbs & waited until they tore it down, needs a complete overhall. I went to Wards & bought bought a Sterio-hy-fy for Xmas. Went to Dobbs & looked at new cars, they let us borrow an old one while they are fixing ours.

Wed, Dec 7.  The car Dobbs lent us froze up on me & I had to stop at Service station & have it thawed out. I was froze to death. I made some pop corn & got warm. Ray went in & had physical for basketball then they went roller skateing with Owyhee ward sunday school class.

Thurs, Dec 8.  Called Kay to tell him he had his mission call to Andes Mission.

Fri, Dec 9.  at 5:30 Ivard & I went in to garage & got car then bought a couple of 29 cent presents for gift exchange at Mutual officers Party at church. We went at 7:30 & had barbacue Turkey supper & danced & had gift exchange. My nite off.

Sat, Dec 10.  Ivard got home at 6: & put his cold feet on me. Gene did chores & made hot cakes for breakfast. Jerry - Gene, Ray & I went to town Xmas shopping. We came home & I mixed up a freezer of icecream & Ivard froze it while Jerry fixed hambergers & trimmings & punch for supper.

Sun, Dec 11.  Jerry - Gene - Ray - Dean & Dale went to Priesthood and sunday school. made no bake cookies & a freezer of icecream & Gene & Jerry froze it & we ate when Ivard came at 4: then they watched "Wizzard of OZ" & I wrote Mother

Mon, Dec 12.  I got up at 2:30 & went to town & mailed Kays mission call & went Xmas shopping.

Tues, Dec 13.  Jackie & I went to relief society work day & Xmas party & Jerry went up to see the air force recruiter. We had a Turkey dinner & all the trimmings furnished by the Presidency, sure good. Had a programe & made Xmas center pieces. I learned how to make a towel pillow.

Wed, Dec 14.  Jerry went to see the air force guy. He was only one out of 7 to pass test yesterday. He failed misserably, the guy said, ont he electronic & mechanic part. the office part he was highest in area.

No comments: