The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the December 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Thurs, Dec 15.  Kay called, he got engaged Sunday. We took Jerry to Boise to air force recruting station to take his physical. Ivard, Jackie & I spent all morning Xmas shopping. We met Jerry at noon, he didnt pass his physical - too nervous so he won't go for at least a yr.

Fri, Dec 16.  I came home from work & got most of my Xmas cards ready to mail, wrote notes in a lot of them. I went up to Dr Lee's & made an appointment for Kay during holidays, mailed cards & got $30. worth of groc.

Sat, Dec 17.  My 26th wedding anniv. Gene was in bed sick all day. Ivard, Ray Dean, Dale & I went to town & got school presents, Xmas tree (4.75) & mailed Lyles Xmas pkg. We ate & they decorated tree.

Sun, Dec 18.  Gene is still sick, flue, I guess. Ray went ward teaching. We all got ready & went to church but Gene came home at 9:30 & I went to bed until time to go to work at 11:

Mon, Dec 19.  Gene was home in bed again today. Ray went to Mutual. They played ball & got beat for first time - Gene is their whole team. Had Turkey dinner at work.

Tues, Dec 20.  Gene still in bed, feels better. Ivard & Jerry went to town to see about the payment we can't make on place & they won't extend it, looks like we will loose it. I made a beanie & apron for Deans school play. Had gift exchange at work, I got a Tussey set.

Wed, Dec 21.  Kay got home tonite. I made the blouse for Deans school play. I never got to bed until after I took Dean in to church to go Xmas carroling & sunday school party. Kay called just as I was leaving for work & Ivard went & got him.

Thurs, Dec 22.  Jerry went & got little kids from school at noon. They woke me up at 3: & I took Kids in to Primary. Kay went to see Bishop & I went & got feed and groc. & Dean a hammer for school play. Ivard, Jerry, Jackie & I went to Kids Xmas school play & Gene & Ray went & played ball. Kay stayed home & watched T.V.

Fri, Dec 23.  We got off work for Xmas holiday don't have to go back until Jan. 9th. I came home & Jerry took Kids to school. I went to bed awhile then I took Jackie to school to Dales party for mothers. brought Kids home & got Ivard & Kay & we went & Paid lites & phone & went to bank & got out laways then went to Caldwell to Gold & Green stamp redemption stores but they were about out of every thing. did some Xmas shopping & came home & ate & all of us but Ivard went in to church Xmas programe & santa clause.

Sat, Dec 24.  I got up & wrapped presents all morning & helped Kids wrap theirs. Lyle called & told Jerry he was comeing up so we got a few things for his Kids. I wasn't supposed to know he was comeing. When we got home Gail - Lynda & Kids were here & brought their presents. They gave me a picture of the 3 Kids, we didn't open any of the rest. I let Debbie & Jeff open one of theirs too.

Sun, Dec 25.  Ivard started on his weeks vacation. Gene got up & did chores then we all got up & opened our presents. We had a good Xmas. I was really surprised I got a deluxe hot point dish washer. Kids were real surprised with record player. Kay played records all day. We ate breakfast & all went to sunday school programe. Lyle, Barbra & boys got here from California about 2:30. They opened their presents & looked at ours & we visited awhile & I fixed supper. I called Gail to tell him Lyle was here & he said for us all to come over tomorrow.

Mon, Dec 26.  at 11: we all got ready & went over to Gails. Lyle & Barbra were already over there. We visited & Lynda fixed dinner & we all ate. Kay was mad at me because we wouldn't go to Salt Lake & I was mad at Ivard. When we got home Ivard said if you're going to Utah you'd better hurry - so we packed like mad & at 7:15 Gene took Ivard & I - Ray - Dean - Dale & Jackie into depot & we caught the traine to Sale Lake. Never even told Lyle goodbye.

Tues, Dec 27.  We got to Salt Lake a 7:30 A.M & I called Ray then called Berniece & she came in from Grantsville & got us at 10:30. Kay called Petersons & they came & got him, he's going to stay at Ruth & Rays & go back to school after holidays with one of professors. We saw what they got for Xmas & visited. Mother fixed lunch. Kids played over to Bernieces most of the day. We went over to Bernieces & had supper & Kent showed us some of their home movies. We all slept over to Mothers but Dean & he stayed with Curtis & Kent.

Wed, Dec 28.  Lyle went home & Jerry went with him.

No comments: