The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, November 16, 2009

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the November 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Mon, Nov 16. I came home from work & Ivard took little Kids to school while I ate & read papers & sorted clothes & we went to town & pd. bills & got bread & came home & I hung clothes out & did another batch & we made my bed & Jackie & I went to bed.

Tues, Nov 17. I got up at noon & had a bath & read my relief society lesson & at 1:30 I went in & gave it. I went Xmas shopping after relief society.

Wed, Nov 18. I came home from work & had flat tire as soon as I stoped. while Ivard changed it I got ready & took Kids to school & went in to Mrs Kotter's & met with 3 other ladies & we went to Boise to Dr. Cudmore to reduce. $10. a month for 2 visits & pills. No wheat no Sweet. I weighed 267 lbs.

Thurs, Nov 19. sent Mother Birthday card & $5. Dean & Dale went to primary. Gene stayed after ball practice & went to Mutual. Ray milked & we ate & he went to Mutual with Max.

Fri, Nov 20. I came home from work & ate & went right to bed. At 1: Ivard woke me up & said I was supposed to be at leadership meeting at 1:30, I forgot, I really had to hurry to make it. I came at home at 3:30. I pressed an apron & took it with one of my fruit cakes into bizzar. Didn't have any money to buy anything.

Sat, Nov 21. I came home from work & went right to bed & stayed there most of day but didn't get very much sleep, too noisy.

Sun, Nov 22. first snow. I came home from work & was so cold I went to bed with Ivard & got warm. Gene Ray, Dean & Dale went to priesthood & sunday school & got home at 1:30 Ray got dinner & I was all afternoon writeing Mother, Jerry & Lyle.

No comments: