The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, November 9, 2009

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the November 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Mon, Nov 9. I came home from work & Ivard had gone over to help Wally do beets, & he went to work from there, I never saw him today.

Tues, Nov 10. I came home from work & took Dale to school. I kept Dean home to tend Jackie today. Ivard was gone over to help Wally & I didn't see him again today.

Wed, Nov 11. Dean & Dale didn't have to go to school & they tended Jackie. They got me up at 1:30 & we went in to high school to foot ball game. Nampa beat Caldwell 14 to 13. Gene dressed down but didn't play.

Thurs, Nov 12. Got letter from Jerry, had flue. Gene & Ray came home on bus & Ray & I went to town & Ray saw about a job at Albertson's, don't need any one now. Gene did chores, he don't feel good & Jackie has a cold. Dean & Dale went to Primary. Ray went to Mutual.

Fri, Nov 13. Ray changed everything around in front room & cleaned good.

Sat, Nov 14. I came home from work & ate & went right to bed. Dean got me up at noon & I took him up to Barlows to help make cookies for their Primary tea tomorrow. He tried to sell cards o the way but couldn't. Ivard, Gene & Ray hauled manure all day.

Sun, Nov 15. I came home from work & went right to bed. Gene, Ray Dean & Dale went to priesthood & sunday school & got home at 2:15. We ate & at 2:30 Dean & I went in to the church & Ivard to a primary programe just for Deans class. Came home & read my relief society lesson for Tuesday.

No comments: