The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, October 26, 2009

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the October 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Mon, Oct 26. I came home from work & Kids had beds all striped & clothes gathered up & I sorted them while Ivard took little boys to school. At 11:30 we went to Caldwell & got Kay a brief case for his birthday with 3 3/4 books S & H green stamps. Gene gave me the money to buy a pr. house slippers for Jackies birthday, red cow boy boots. I went to bed at 3: I got up at 4:30. Ray got supper. I went to bed at 7: but didn't get to sleep until after 8: went to work at 11:

Tues, Oct 27. I came home from work & I went right to bed. I got up at 12: & had a bath & got ready & picked a boquet of flowers & went in & took them to Venice & visited with her 1/2 hr., still sick, then I went to relief society. When Ray came I went back to town & had Kays name put on his brief case & got Jackie 2 pr. pajamas & some crayons ect. for her birthday.

Wed, Oct 28. I came home from work & got ready while Ivard took the little boys to school then we took Jackie to Nampa to Roosevelt school & she had her smalpox shot & her first D.P.T. shot. I went after Gene & Ray at 6: & met them half way home, walking.

Thurs, Oct 29. Got letter from Barbra, Lyle has typhoid. I came home from work & went to bed. Ivard went to work at 3:30 & I got clothes in and got supper on to cook & went in after Gene & Ray. passed little boys on their way home from Primary. We hunted all over for Ray, he was passing out hand bills for scouts. We called home twice. I finally got mad & came home & here he sat. Got letter from Barbra & Lyle was in hospital 9 days with temp. of 104 degrees & they couldn't find out what was wrong. went home a week & now he's back in for 20 days with typhoid fever.

Fri, Oct 30. Wrote Jerry & sent his money. Jerry called on phone. Kay came home. Kay called at 5: & wanted me to come to Nampa after him, the team came down from Rexburg on bus & Kay came over from Boise on Bus. We got him some toilet articles & Jackies birthday cake & icecream & waited for Gene to get back from his Boise game. The won. It was 7:30 time we got home. Ray had house cleaned & supper ready. Jerry called at 10: sure sounded good.

Sat, Oct 31. Jackie was 3 years old today. I came home from work & Ivard was cutting Kay's hair & Gene's. I went right to bed & got up at 12: & Gene & I went to Boise to Kays foot ball game. Ivard took Kay over at 10: & had dinner with the team. They got beat 40 to 7. Kay played quite a bit & got his ankle hurt again. We visited with him, coach & Kays Bishop until bus was ready to leave. Got home at dark & Gail, Lynda & Kids were here. We ate, chilli, punch, icecream & haloween birthday cake. Gave Jackie her presents before Kay left this morning. Gail & Lynda took Kids trick or treeting then went home.

Sun, Nov 1. Today was Stake conference & no one went.

No comments: