The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, October 19, 2009

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the October 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Mon, Oct 19. I came home from work & took Kids to school. Ivard took Jackie & went over to Wallys to help do beets & I went to bed. Ivard brought Jackie home at noon & went back & went to work at 3:30 from there. I went back to bed with Jackie & we didn't wake up until 3:30.

Tues, Oct 20. I came home & took Kids to school & Ivard was gone over to Wally's to do beets. Ray had beds changed & clothes gathered up & I washed 4 batches. Jackie & I went to bed at 11:00, got up at 12:30 & I went to relief Society & gave my Literature lesson. Beautiful day.

Wed, Oct 21. I came home from work & took Kids to school & went right to bed. Ivard & Jackie washed a batch of clothes, finished hauling hay, & took cow to sale. Ray got supper while I iorned & he went to mutual. Got letter from Berniece. Mother has been pretty sick.

Thurs, Oct 22. I came home from work & got ready & we went to Boise & got $100. out of Kays bank account to send him.

Fri, Oct 23. I came home from work & Ivard tended Jackie & I went right to bed. I got up at 12: & had a hot bath and at 1: went in to the Stake House to leadership meeting for relief society, after I got out at 3:30 I went over to Junior High & met Ivard & Jackie & watched Rays team get beat by Caldwell. There last game. Gene played at Caldwell & won. He made 1 T.D & 2 points after. Ray got supper. Gene did chores & got me up at 8: to take him in to foot ball game.

Sat, Oct 24. I came home from work & went right to bed. & never got up until 3: Ray cleaned up house & did a little washing. Gene went over to work for Wally. I made spagetti & we ate late. I went to bed with hot water bottle on my head, ear, & neck. sure hurt. Went to work at 11: & mailed letters. sent Kay a letter.

Sun, Oct 25. I came home from work & ate & went to bed. after I put a roast on. Kids all went to priesthood & sunday school. Ivard tended Jackie & put potatoes on. I got up at 3: & made salad, cooked cauliflower & made gravy & we ate at 4: wrote mother a 12 page letter & wrote to Jerry.

No comments: