The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, October 12, 2009

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the October 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Mon, Oct 12. I came home from work & took Kids to school. I slept 1 1/2 hrs & got up & washed 2 more batches of clothes & hung out & Ivard helped me make our bed & he went to work. at 4: I went & got Dean & Dale & we went & watched Gene's team beat Mountain Home 47 to 6. Ray went ward teaching.

Tues, Oct 13. I came home & went to bed. I got up at 10:30 & washed 3 batches of clothes & at 1:30 Jackie & I went to relief society work day. started home at 3:30 but Kept having car stop on me.

Wed, Oct 14. I came home from work & took Kids to school. Ivard baled hay until he broke needle. He went to town & got a new belt & put on. Jackie & I went to bed at 11: & got up at 1: Ivard left for work at 3: I made potatoe soup & we ate & I went to bed at 6:30.

Thurs, Oct 15. I came home from work & took little kids to school & got ready & we went to town & got Ivards check & paid bills & went to Caldwell & signed for government beet payment & came back to Nampa & got groc. & had a sundee & came home & Jackie & I went to bed. got up at 4: & Ivard had gone to work. Ray fed Kids.

Fri, Oct 16. Kay called. he got a bad sprain maybe broken, at game at Carbon, Utah I came home from work & took the Kids to school and read paper & Ivard said he'd tend Jackie while I went to bed. I was only going to lay down for awhile because we are off tonite but I never woke up until 3:30, best sleep I've had since I went back to work. picked Ray up after he came from Boise, They beat Boise. My nite off.

Sat, Oct 17. Gene & Ray went & worked for Wally all day. I went to bed awhile with Ivard. Ivard got up at 11:30 and he & I & Dale & Jackie took a cow to sale at Caldwell.

Sun, Oct 18. Sunny, blue sky, nice day. I had to wash my bedding, Jackie wet. We ate & Gene, Ray, Dean & Dale went to Priesthood & sunday school. I washed the turkey & got in over. It's the turkey Ivard won last Xmas at Adrian. Made dressing & Ivard peeled potatoes. I worked on my literature lesson for relief society Tuesday. Kids didn't get home until 3:30 they'd been to hospital to see a friend. They brought 2 Kids home. We ate & Gene & Ray & 2 Kids went rabbit hunting. They all went to church.

No comments: