The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, September 28, 2009

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the September and October 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Mon, Sept 28. got Birthday card & letter from Lyle & Jerry. I came home from work & read paper & got ready & we went to Caldwell & got milk check & I laid away some stuff for Xmas at I.D.'s sale.

Tues, Sept 29. I'm 44 today. Ray fixed toasted cheese sandwiches & pork & beans & we ate. Ray gave me a jar mixed candy & They gave me a G.E. clock radio, bed room light & my new bed & breakfast set.

Wed, Sept 30. I came home from work & took Kids to school then Ivard, Jackie & I went over to Gails & they were just moving out, over on Enterprise Ave., out from Nyssa. We left Jackie there to play & went over to G. & B & gave them my radio, wouldn't play & they will mail us out one from Boise.

Thurs, Oct 1. got Birthday card & letter from Kay. We took Dean & Dale in to Primary then we went & watched Genes foot ball game. We had to sit quite awhile, Boise didn't show up till nearly 5: & our kids were tired out. got beat 18 to 14. Ray beat Boise. We went & got 83 lbs squash & a bu. of grapes while we waited for Gene.

Fri, Oct 2. We don't have to work tonight. We went to bed early. I was so tired & Ivard had to go to work. My nite off.

Sat, Oct 3. I got up & fixed breakfast & took Ray up to Martines's to work all day. Ivard came home from work & went to bed awhile then got up & watched world series. He cut Gene, Dean & Dales hair. I washed bottles & did 21 qts grape juice with grapes in bottle & put 5 qts cauliflower in freezer.

Sun, Oct 4. Gene did chores & him & Ray went to Priesthood at 9:15. special meeting, Gene is an officer. I made waffles & sausage for breakfast. I bottled rest of grape juice & got pulp ready for jam tomorrow. Gene & Ray got home at 2: & we got dinner. Ray bought some icecream.

No comments: