Excerpts from the September 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Mon, Sept 7. I came home from work & sorted all the clothes & Lynda & Ray washed & cleaned the house & I went to bed at 10:30. I woke up at 2:30 & Gail & Kids had gone to town. I'm sick & Gene too, stomach. Ivard & Kids got home from Rexburg at 6:, Kay found a room before he left. Gail & Lynda loaded the car & took Kids & left for Rexburg at 11: P.M. to see about going to college.
Tues, Sept 8. I came home from work & Ivard was home & had chores done & was in bed asleep. I washed clothes & cleaned up & Jackie & I went to bed at noon.
Wed, Sept 9. Gail & Lynda came back from Rexburg this afternoon, he couldn't make enough to go to school. Ivard & Gail went & watched Kids practice & brought them home. Gail took Gene & Ray in to Mutual then went & got them again.
Thurs, Sept 10. Gail & Lynda took off at 10: hunting work, I had just got to bed & Ivard woke me up because he ran out of gas in tractor so we went to Nampa & got groc. & to Caldwell to bank then we went to Homedale to get peaches but they were all gone where we always get them, found some in sunny slope. got 3 bu. for 7.50.
Fri, Sept 11. I came home from work and read paper. I went to bed, & Jackie, & Ivard went out to plow & he woke us up at 1:30 & he left for Marshing to foot ball game. I got up & started doing peaches, did 22 qts. Had to go to school in pick-up & get Dale, he had flat tire on bike.
Sat, Sept 12. I came home from work & Gail & Lynda had gone to Ontario to work. He has a job at a dairy. Ivard peeled peaches & we bottled 14 qts & 14 qts sliced ones. Gene went to Nampa to foot ball game.
Sun, Sept 13. I came home from work & put a roast on and went to bed at 10:30. Gene, Ray Dean & Dale went to Priesthood & sunday school at 11:, time for our new ward. Jackie was sick & Ivard tended her. Gail & Lynda came & we ate at 3:30. and they loaded up their stuff to move to Ontario & left at 5:, they took our pick-up. Ivard hot packed Gene, he has a boil on his jaw.
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment