The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, September 14, 2009

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the September 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Mon, Sept 14. It rained about all day & really hard part of time. Ivard tended Jackie, she's still sick, & I went to bed. I got up at 2: & took Ivard to work because Gail hadn't brought pick-up home. the streets were so full of water we could hardly get through, some were Blocked off.

Tues, Sept 15. A cow died & By-products came & got her & I had to help keep cows in. He came right after Ivard left for work at 2:30. Simplots called at 4: & said the plant wold be down until Monday nite.

Wed, Sept 16. I took Gene in to school, had to be there early to have picture taken. Droped Dean & Dale off on way home. Ray rode bus. I wrote Kay this morning.

Thurs, Sept 17. Had to patch Genes foot ball suit before he went to school. At 2:30 we took the bore pig home to Merridian & had a milk shake then we went & watched Ray beat Merridian 14 to 0. Ray played most of game. Kay called tonite

Fri, Sept 18. At 1:30 & went to Boise & drew out $100. out of Kays money & mailed to him then we went up to Borah High and watched Nampa get beat 8 to 7. It rained all morning & let up during game then rained again. It was a mud puddle & the mud ran down their legs. Gene played nearly the whole game & really did good.

Sat, Sept 19. Ivard came home from work at 8: & said lets go to Rexburg. I was still in bed. I dressed & packed a bat & at 8:30 he & I were on our way just Ivard & I. rained on us most of way. got to Stadium at 2: just as players were comeing out. We met coach & he took us in gate. It rained a little during game & Kay got to play quite a bit, They got beat 20 to 0 by Montana. after Game Kay & his roommate drove us around town & showed us his room & got gas & went to Idaho Falls & got a hotel room.

Sun, Sept 20. We got up at 8: & went & had breakfast (in Idaho Falls) & left for home. stoped at Mountain Home & had dinner. We got to Boise about 2:30 so we drove up & saw lucky peek Dam them we went on up to Idaho City & stayed until about 9:

No comments: