The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, November 3, 2008

5 Our family 50 years ago

What our family was up to during the fall of 1958, based on entries in Dorothy's Diary during November 1958. The full text of her diary can be found online and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on an 80-acre farm in the Big Bend area of eastern Oregon. Lyle and Barbara lived in Sacramento, California. Gail and Lynda lived in Centerville, Utah. And Jerry was on a mission in Canada.

Mon, Nov 3. I got up & took Kay & Gene over to Seminary & came home & got little Kids off to school. Ivard & Jackie went up to Hickmans & got eggs then went to Nampa to see about getting corn picker fixed & I iorned all morning. I iorned until Kids came home then Dale, Jackie & I took Ray selling light bulbs for scouts & Xmas cards for him. Gene went down & did Tom's chores & did ours. Kay went to Adrian to dance practice at school.

Tues, Nov 4. I got up & took Kay & Gene over to Seminary then came home & cooked little Kids breakfast & they went to school and I cleaned up & started to iorn but didn't get much done, Ida came relief society teaching & the guy from Parma came out & fixed my washer & dryer. The guy came out & fixed corn picker. We went up & voted then I had a bath & Ivard got Jackie ready & we went to relief society & he went to work. Ray got supper. Gene & I went over to school & Gene was initiated into F.F.A. Went back to work tonight.

Wed, Nov 5. I came home from work & we went to Adrian & I washed 2 batches of clothes. Me & Jackie went to bed at 1:30 & Ivard came home & went to work & never woke us up. When Ray came from school we went & sold some more light bulbs & cards. Kay, Gene & Ray went to Mutual. I went to work at 11:

Thurs, Nov 6. I came home from work & ate & we went to Caldwell & mailed Jerrys money for this month then went to Simplots & borrowed $270. from Credit Union to pay taxes. Came home & went to bed & Ivard tended Jackie. she woke me up in a couple of hrs & Ivard was asleep & she had everything out of Kids, really went to town.

Fri, Nov 7. Kay took car & went & got Claudia for foot ball game. Ivard, Gene & I went in Pick-up. Adrian's last game of year. Beat Marshing 55 to 0 to win S.R.V.B. Championship. Kay made 4 T.D but only 2 counted. He made a 95 yrd. run & referees blew whistle, thought Hatch had ball & had been tackled.

Sat, Nov 8. I came home from work & went to bed I was so tired. Ray tended Kids and scrubbed & waxed floors. Kay took off in car & got home at dark & Kids came & took him to show at Nampa.

Sun, Nov 9. I came home from work & put a roast on & went to bed. Kids went to Priesthood & sunday school. Jackie had such a cold Ivard stayed home & tended her. He did up dishes & cooked potatoes & carrots & I got up & made gravey & we ate when Kids got home. Ivard left for work at 3: I spent all afternoon until 9: writeing 14 page letter to Lyle, 10 page letter to Gail & I didn't get mothers finished.

No comments: