The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, November 10, 2008

4 Bits and tidbits

Pregnancy perks
Our daughter Eliza went to vote in Georgia. "Because of my large and in charge belly," she wrote, "I got to jump to the front of the line to vote! . . . After waiting in line for 45 minutes, one of the voter helper people came outside to answer questions. When he saw me, he rushed over and said that since I was pregnant I could go straight to the front of the line and then he apologized that he hadn't seen me earlier. I was surprised but happy."

Celebration!
Kate (Gail and Lynda's family) wrote on November 8: "Last month when I took Megan to her clinic appointment, her PFT (pulmonary function test) was down. During the summer when she was doing really well her FEV1 score was 72, which was really good for Megan. In October, her FEV1 score had dropped to 65, so they gave me 1 month to get her score up or they were going to check her into the hospital. When we went yesterday, I was all packed and ready for our hospital stay knowing that she was probably still down. Then we got the surprise of our lives. Megan did her first breath and the clinician yelled out and covered her mouth with her hand. She just stood there shocked for several seconds before I said, 'Are you trying to torture me or what?' She apologized and said that her score was up to 81. I almost cried. We were celebrating so loudly that the doctor in the other room trying to take dictation had to start over."

Here is what happens when . . .
Nicolle (Kay's family) wrote on November 3: "Here is what happens when you leave your 1-year-old unattended for just a few minutes. Gretchen enjoys sitting on the kitchen table. I usually try to have it cleaned off. This morning however I forgot to put the Cheerio box away. I ran downstairs to change the laundry and came back up and found this. Easton never climbed up things like Gretchen does. This is all new territory."



Let winter begin
With recent storms across northern Utah, Snowbird opened for the ski season on Friday, November 7. Our son-in-law Peter Halverson was among those who showed up for opening day.

Missionary service
A report posted yesterday from Kay and Karen in Peru: "[Saturday] morning from 8:30 am to 1:30 we went to our ward in Magdalena and had splits with some members of the ward. Karen went with Maria Elena to 8 inactive members in perhaps the largest zone of the ward. Luckily for Karen, Maria speaks some English. They spoke to someone at 7 of the homes.

"I went with Santiago a 17-year-old priest, to the furthest part of the ward to 22 homes. We found that several of the people had moved and perhaps aren't inactive after all. Several said that they would come to church, though we didn't see any of them today. We even talked to a neighbor of one of the sisters we were looking for that said she would like to know more about our church and would love to have the lessons. Today we turned her name over to the elders working in that area to go teach her."

No comments: