Excerpts from the November 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Thurs, Nov 17. Gene did chores & him, Ray & I ate & They went to Nyssa to play Gails team basket ball & I went to bed. When Dean, Dale & Jackie came from Primary Dean fixed them something to eat. Gene stayed over to Gails after game.
Fri, Nov 18. I came home from work. Ray didn't go to school. He helped me & I made 4 apple pies, & 8 cinnamon rolls & he poped corn & we baged up 6 bags of carmel corn & 11 of green mother goose corn & got it all ready to take to bizzar then I went to bed for 1 1/2 hrs then at 4: Ray, Jackie, & I took stuff to church to bizzar & Ray stayed to help. Ivard did chores & took Kids in to church & they ate & saw show & had fish pond.
Sat, Nov 19. Ray took Kids & went to school Karnival & opening of new Scism lunch room building. He won cake.
Sun, Nov 20. I came home from work & went to bed. Ivard took Kids to sunday school. I got up at 2:45 & Gail & Lynda had brought Gene home. Ray had made hambergers.
Mon, Nov 21. I came home from work & took Dean to school. Dale was sick & didn't go.
Tues, Nov 22. Jackie & I went to relief society. We came home at 12:30 & went to bed at 1:. They were through with beets when we got home & Ivard was in with last load. They didn't do very good, too weedy. Ivard - Gene & Ray went to Caldwell to play ball. Kay called at 11: & I went out by Kings & got him.
Wed, Nov 23. I'm off until Sunday nite. I came home from work & Kay took Kids to school & I hurried & made 5 pumpkin pies & Kay took 2 of them to school for Kids Thanksgiving dinner. Gene didn't go to school, he picked a load of corn. Jerry rode up from Utah with Verl Cleverly & Kay & Kids went in & picked him up at 6: Ivard killed & cleaned a turkey & cut Kays hair.
Thurs, Nov 24. I got up at 8: & made biscuits & cooked eggs & had grapefruit & we ate when Gene got chores done. Kay took Gene in to ball practice at 9:45 & he went over to Caldwell to be interviewed by President Isin for mission. When Kay & Gene got home at noon we all got ready & went over to Gails to Thanksgiving dinner, Turkey & all the trimmings. sure good. The Blanch's were there too, 19 of us.
Fri, Nov 25. I put a turkey in oven & washed & iorned all morning. Ivard had to be at Small claims court at 10: about a bill we owe co-op. Kay went to hospital & had a blood test to go on mission. Ray went selling the Xmas centerpieces he makes & Dean made a cranberry Jello salad & I made dressing & cooked yams & when the guys came home ate our Thanksgiving dinner & Ivard & I, Jerry & Kay went over to Nyssa Stake House to Pete Bryce & Mair Bair's wedding reception had fun dancing.
Sat, Nov 26. I got up at 5: A.M & fixed Kay a lunch & took him in to catch the bus for Rexburg. He had to be back for conference to be interviewed by general athority. The bus was an hr. late. Jerry & Ray went selling Rays Xmas centerpieces then Ray came home & made 3 more & went & sold them.
Sun, Nov 27. I made turkey soup for supper & we ate when Ivard & Kids got home. Mother called about 10: from Idaho Falls to say aunt Pearl died, Mother sold her place.
Mon, Nov 28. real frosty this morning, could hardly scrape it off car windows. I came home from work & Jerry changed beds & did the washing & made some cranberry sauce & cranberry bread. Gene did chores then I took Gene - Ray & Dean to Mutual. Court of Honor & Dean pinned 2nd class badge on me.
Tues, Nov 29. Jackie & I went in to relief society conference & work day. droped Jerry off at unemployment office, he didn't find any work. Had good dinner. I had bath & packed bag & cought 8:30 traine for Salt Lake.
Wed, Nov 30. I got in Salt Lake at 7:30 A.M & called Ruth & Ray but they were already to work so I called Ruth C. & she came & got me & we visited awhile & I changed & at 10:30 she took me up to Bountiful Mortuary & I met Mother & them. We stayed there until 11:45 then went to Bountiful 4th Ward to Aunt Pearl Batt Hulse's funeral. they are takeing her to Rigby to bury tomorrow. We went back to mortuary awhile then up to my cousins Beth Hulse Pearce & then Ken, Bern. & Mother took me down to Ruths & I changed & they droped me off at Deseret Book store on their way home to Grantsville at 5: I bought a few things & walked 4 blocks down to U.P. Station & got a mag. & read until 7:30 P.M. when I cought train for home.
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment