The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the September 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Thurs, Sept 15.  Bottled 15 qts of peaches & finished up the 2 bu. makes 43 qts. I fixed a big bowl for supper. at 7:30 I took Gene to practice & I drove up town & went in Stockman & there sat Ivard playing cards he came out & gave me check & said he had to be to work at 11: & it wasn't worth driveing home, was I mad.

Fri, Sept 16.  My nite off, guy came & fixed T.V. Ivard went to pick prunes from work I guess, its been sine midnite Wed. since he went to bed. then he got up early Thurs morning. Gail & Lynda came & Dean tended Kids & Ivard & I, Gail & Lynda went in to foot ball game at 8:15. Gene went at 7:, he didn't even get to play.

Sat, Sept 17.  Ivard went streight to pick apples from work and I fed Kids & took Dean over to Allens to go on scout hike. Ray scrubbed & cleaned the house.

Sun, Sept 18.  I got up late, after Gene & Ray had gone to Priesthood & had a bath & me & Kids went to sunday school. The Bishop relieved me of my relief society job so I could spend more time on genelogy. Kids went to go in car & starter was dead.

Mon, Sept 19.  I got up & made hot cakes & Kids went to school. Gene & Ray pushed Ivard in car to start it & he took it in to Dobbs. Ivard & Jackie went & picked 2 bu peaches & he peeled one batch & while they cooked he went to town & got car. he was comeing right home & help me do peaches but he never showed up. I called Stockman & he said he'd be right home, but he never. Jerry called at 8:30.

Tues, Sept 20.  I came home from work & bottled 245 qts peaches & put 4 qts in freezer. Jackie & I went to bed at 3:15. Jackie had ear ache.

Wed, Sept 21.  I came home & took Kids to school. I went to bed at 2:30 & got up at 4:40 when Ray came. Ivard was gone when I got home, Kids thought he went to pick fruit. he did. I called Stockman at 5:45 & he said he'd be right home. I went to bed at 7: & he came at 7:45. I was so mad.

No comments: