Excerpts from the September 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Thurs, Sept 8. It was my pay day & I stoped on way home from work & filled car with gas & got 16. worth of groc., 100 lbs sugar.
Fri, Sept 9. I bottled 44 qts of prunes when Ray came he got supper & ground 40 cups of prunes to make jam tomorrow. Gene went to foot ball game, their first. They beat Baker Oregon 2 touch downs.
Sat, Sept 10. I came home & every one was gone. Gene was working for Wally so I called him & he said Ivard came home & took Ray, Dean, Dale & Jackie to pick prunes. Ray was supposed to work for Max but never.
Sun, Sept 11. I came home from work so tired I went to bed & didn't go to sunday school. Gene, Ray & Dean went to priesthood & sunday school and Dale tended Jackie. Ray put a roast on before he left. We ate & at 4: we went over to Gails & took Debbie a birthday present for tomorrow. They weren't home so we left present & came right home. Gene drove.
Mon, Sept 12. Ivard went streight to pick prunes from work. He got bumped & is on extra board now. I came home from work & the Kids had a bunch of corn picked. I made 10 batches of prune jam, got 40 pts. & it was 2: when I started on corn. I got 42 cobs & 14 qts. in freezer. Ray changed all the beds & I washed 5 big batches. I was so tired & ached all over so Ivard called in & laid me off.
Tues, Sept 13. I got up & made hot cakes & Ivard went to pick prunes & Kids went to school. I cooked the rest of prunes & poured of juice & made 24 bottles of jelly & run the pulp through to make jam tomorrow & I washed 5 batches. I cooked a good supper, stuffed peppers.
Wed, Sept 14. I came home from work & at 9: Jackie & I went to bed. I got up at 11: & started on my peaches. I bottled 21 qts. sliced peaches & 7 qts. I went in & got groc. & waited for Gene. He said to come at 5:30 & it was 6:30 when he got out of practice. Ray made 8 qts. prune butter while I was gone. he got supper. I went to work at 11:
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment