The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, January 12, 2009

7 A final word

When I was growing up, sensing the Lord had blessed me with a gift for writing, I toyed with the idea of becoming a journalist. I took journalism in both junior high and high school and was editor of the school paper my freshman and senior years. I imagined an ideal life would be to live in a small town somewhere, perhaps something like the Mayberry depicted in the old Andy Griffith Show, and publish the town’s weekly newspaper.

Life has a way of happening other than the way we dreamed it might.

And yet maybe not. Here I am cranking out a weekly family newsletter again, and though the frequency has wandered through the years from quarterly to monthly to weekly, we are 37 years into the project. That represents a lot of writing. And a worn out pencil or two. And I just keep writing. It’s something I have to do.

For more than a third of a century now you have had to endure my ramblings on topics that matter to me, mostly themes relating to the gospel, history, or the family. I hope it’s been worthwhile, maybe even enjoyable. The Lord’s been good to me, to all of us, and that in the end is what my writing is all about: to bear witness of Him and His goodness in our lives.

No comments: