The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, January 12, 2009

5 Our family 50 years ago

What our family was up to during the early months of 1959, based on entries in Dorothy's Oregon Diaries during January 1959. The full text of her diary can be found online and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on an 80-acre farm in the Big Bend area of eastern Oregon but were in process of selling it and looking at something over by Nampa or Meridian.


Mon, Jan 5. Ivard put squash on & peeled potatoes & I made scolloped potatoes for supper. He got up about 3: & went down to Bishops & told him we'd sell out for $24,000. he said he'd be up to look at it.

Wed, Jan 7. Mr. Bishop came & looked at ground.

Fri, Jan 9. Came home & went to bed & Ivard slept about an hr then he got up & tended Jackie. & when he got her to sleep at noon he came back to bed and we were just about to sleep when Mr. Bishop came up talk price for our place, said he'd give us $18,000. cash. We will let him know in few days.

Mon, Jan 12. Ivard wet down to Bishops & sold him our place for $18,000. We will go to Caldwell Wed. & fix up papers. At 3: we went to Nampa & Ivard signed up for unemployment & he stoped in at a Realty Co. & saw about places.

Wed, Jan 14. I came home from work & we went & got Mr. Bishop & went to town to close the deal on our place. Jackie & I sat in car & waited for them for 3 hrs then he backed out because he wanted to see Bob about fixing ditch again & because we said it was a 80 acres & the deed is 5 acres less. Dale was 7 years old today. he got cords, sweater, 2 pr. levies, 3 pr. socks, 2 pr. shorts & 50 cents & card from Lyle. Gail came from Utah.

Thurs, Jan 15. I came home from work & Ivard Jackie & I went to Nampa to Robison Reality & he took us all overy valley looking at places. found the one we wanted in deer flat, 6 miles out of Nampa, $41,000. for 40 acres, 4 bed room house, nice yard.

Fri, Jan 16. Lyle called tonight, wanted to borrow money. I came home from work in the rain. Me & Jackie went to bed about 10:30 & Gail woke me up at noon. We got ready & Gail dropped Jackie & I off at high school to watch Vale murder grade school in basketball. I don't have to work tonight, laid down awhile. then we got ready & at 6:30 Ivard & I, Kay, Gene & Ray went to Adrian to ball games. J.V.'s beat Notus & so did the Varsity.

Sat, Jan 17. Ivard & I went & got Mr. Bishop at 8:30 & went to town & made out papers on sale of place. have to go next Tuesday again to sign them & Mr. Bishop will pay off barn & Simplot then we get our money when Deeds come back from Vale. Came home at 11: & Gail & Lynda were here & we took them & all the kids to see a couple of places we found we liked, one at deer flat & one at Merridian came home & made barbacue & cooked corn on the cob & made Brownies & we ate & played Penochle. At 6: Ivard took Kay & Gene to Adrian to catch bus for Homedale & at 6:30 Ivard & I, Gail, Lynda & Debbie went to Homedale to game. J.V's won & Varsity won 60 to 57, sure exciteing. Gail & Lynda stayed all night.

Sun, Jan 18. Kay, Gene, Ray, Dean & Dale went to Priesthood and Sunday school and Gail left for Blanches.

No comments: