The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Monday, December 22, 2008

5 Our family 50 years ago

What our family was up to during the winter of 1958, based on entries in Dorothy's Diary during December 1958. The full text of her diary can be found online and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on an 80-acre farm in the Big Bend area of eastern Oregon.


Mon, Dec 22. awful foggy comeing home from work. Jackie vomited in my bed, had to wash bed spread & all. at 7:15 I took Ray, Dean, Dale & Jackie & went over to Adrian to school Xmas programe, it was really good. Gene went ward teaching & came home with us. Kay took Claudia to Xmas formal.

Tues, Dec 23. Ivard won 15 lb. Turkey from Lyons Club. Simplot gave us big turkey dinner this morning. Ray had supper ready & we ate & Gene did chores and we all went over to church to Xmas programe.

Wed, Dec 24. I don't go back to work until Jan 5. I came home from work & changed & dashed over to church to breakfast for Seminary students & parents. Kay - Gene & Ivard were there & everyone had eaten but they fixed me a good one then we had a meeting. I helped Kids wrap presents & Dean & Dale went to bed. Kay - Gene & Ray got big Xmas tree in & decorated it & they went to bed. Gail & Lynda & Debbie got here while I was asleep at 10: Ivard got home & we played Santa & went to bed at 2:30 A.M.

Thurs, Dec 25. Jerry called from Canada, his Xmas present from mission president. Gail came & woke us up at 6:30 & we opened presents. Jackie was so excited with the tree & her presents. We all had a real good Xmas then Jerry called & we all talked to him, it was so clear.

Fri, Dec 26. We got up at 9: & Gene had chores done & they played Monoply. I got turkey on & cranberry, jello salad made & made waffles & hot cakes for breakfast which they ate at 11:30. Gail & Lynda came & left Debbie to play & took Ivard, Gene & Ray over to Homedale bowling.

Sat, Dec 27. We got up late & ate & Ray did up work. Ivard and I went to Nampa so Ivard could mark up on another job, got cut off. goes to work at 11: now.

Sun, Dec 28. Ivard came home at 8: & went to bed, he'd run off road, he was so tired. I tended Jackie while he slept she had such a cold we didn't go to church with Kids. When Kids came we had hot Turkey sandwiches & Kay took me over to Owyhee Corner & I went to Nyssa with Bishop Stoker to leadership meeting. Kay went up to Claudias.

Mon, Dec 29. Got new movie camera & projector.

Tues, Dec 30. Gail & Lynda & Debbie came. We visited and they played monoply awhile. at 7: Ivard took Kay & Gene over to school to go to Ontario to play ball. J.V.'s got beat Varsity won. He took Ray over to Petersons to go swimming with Scouts & he got Gail & Lynda & they went to Ontario to game. I wouldn't leave little kids alone & besides I didn't feel good. me & Kids went to bed at 7:30.

Wed, Dec 31. At 11:30 Gail left for home. I made a big kettle of chilli. went to Caldwell & had milk shake & got groc. & eggs & some candy & nuts for tonight. Kids all went to sleep by 11:30. I went out side at midnight but couldn't hear any noise. We've had a good year & good health.

No comments: