The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Friday, June 1, 2012

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the June 1962 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on Colorado Avenue in Nampa, Idaho.

Sat, June 2.  I took Dean up to church to go collect Fast offerings. Ivard came home from G. F. and went to bed after he planted tomatoes. Jerry got us $41. worth of groc. I took Ivard up to go to work at 8:

Sun, June 3.  Ray had to go to work at Dairy Q. at 9:30 A.M until 5: Jerry & Dean went to Priesthood, sunday school & fast meeting. I didn't go today had to stay home & Keep Jackie in bed, has bad cold, & soak Dales foot, had infection from stepping on nail. Jerry went to work at D.Q. at 3: & Ray never came home until about 8:

Mon, June 4.  Ivard called at 5:30 A.M & said he'd run out of gas out by Kuna, comeing from Glenns F., so I got Dean up & we got a 5 gal. can & took him. Ivard got up at 10: & went out to Hennis's & they gave him $400. the rest they owed on for place & $100. for drapes & rug. Went to bank & paid some bills, got new tire on car. Came home & packed suit cases & at 11:45 Ivard & I, Dean Dale & Jackie went over to Adrian Oregon & got Gene & we headed for California at 1: stoped at Winnamuca & had dinner. got to Lyles at 10: got to bed at midnite. Lyle had to go out on flight at 1: A.M for 24 hrs.

Tues, June 5.  We had lunch & at 1: we took Barbra & Kids & went up to Sacramento Park & went through the Zoo then went through "Fairy Tell" town then over to the amusment Park. Got home at 4: & Barbra got supper.

Wed, June 6.  Left for home at 8:45. Gene stayed to get a job. Got here at 8:05 and Ray had gone to Drive-Inn to show in pick-up so Ivard had to go to Glenns Ferry to work in car.

Thurs, June 7.  Gail came awhile and Jackie went home with him to stay all nite.

Fri, June 8.  had to work at Simplots tonite

Sat, June 9.  I got laid off again this morning & they will be down next two nites at Simplots. Ray scrubbed Kitchen & I rode up with him to take Ivard to train.

Sun, June 10.  I don't feel so hot. Jerry, Ray, & Dean went to priesthood & sunday school. Ray came home & took Dale & Jackie. I stayed home & had dinner ready when they came. I wrote 8 page letter to Kay.

Mon, June 11.  Jerry was 24 years old today. Ivard came home from G. F. Ivard & Dean beat up a angle food cake for Jerrys birthday. Dean & I went up town & got some socks (3 pr) for Jerry & went out to get some garments. I made a meat loaf, blue cheese salad a & spring salad then when Jerry & Ray came home we ate & Jerry, Ray & Dean went to Mutual. I went to bed, have to go to work tonite at Simplots.

Tues, June 12.  Mother called, Berniece had baby girl.

Wed, June 13.  We got laid off today, for summer, I hope. Dale went to little legue ball practice and Ivard left for Glenns Ferry to work at 7: & watched Dale practice.

Thurs, June 14.  Cold & windy - Kids made a fire to warm up house. Wrote a note to Day. Wrote to Lyle & to Mother. Jerry left for Salt Lake to Conference.

Sun, June 17.  Ivard didn't come home today for Father's day. Jerry got home from Salt Lake after midnite (Monday AM).

Mon, June 18.  Ivard finally got home, first time since he left Wed. nite. Ivard had his check come to Glenns Ferry & got drunk & spent nite in jail, it cost him 25. & with that he was $80. short on check, he don't know where rest went too. Guys laid him off so he wouldn't get fired. Now we can't go to Utah like we planned all week for Cleverly reunion. I was sure mad. Him & Dean hauled hay all day. Gail helped them 3 loads.

Tues, June 19.  Ivard & Dean hauled hay all day. Ivard & I got ready & left for Boise at 6:30. We went to "Dixon's" & had sea food supper $3.25 each. I had lobster cocktail, clam soup & Louisiana Prawns sure good. It was cool & only lighted by candles, real romantic. after we went to "Broadway" drive Inn & saw two good shows "State Fair" & "Second time Around"

Wed, June 20.  Ivard finished hauling 680 bales hay.

Thurs, June 21.  Ray went to Utah on bus.

Fri, June 22.  Dean did genelogy most of day. Gail, Lynda & Kids came awhile then they went up to Idaho City & camped all nite. He called about some jobs. He hasn't got one again. Its awful hot & I don't feel to good.

Sun, June 24.  Ivard & I, Jerry, Dean, Dale & Jackie went to church. Jerry went to Fire Side after & we brought Dean & Dale home & Jackie & I went to Glenns Ferry [to take Ivard back to work].

Mon, June 25.  I sat in car all nite last nite & only slept a couple of hrs. Ivard got off work at 7: A.M & we left Glenns Ferry for home. stoped at Hammett & had breakfast & I drove rest of way home. Jerry took car & took Dean & bunch of Scouts to Boise to show & supper.

Tues, June 26.  Got letter from Kay, He is new Branch President of Ica.

Wed, June 27.  Ivard & I, Dean, Dale & Jackie got up at 4:30 A.M & ate and at 5: Gail came & took me & Kids to pick cherries but they had enough pickers so I couldn't pick. Kids picked 4 boxes & earned about $8. I just sat on box after I helped Kids do theirs. got home at 4:

Thurs, June 28.  Dean got up at 5: A.M. & went to pick cherries with Gail. I got up & took Jerry to work & washed 2 batches of cloths & had a shower & took Jackie to Primary. Dale went on bike. Dean got home at 3: Dale never came until 4: Ward teachers came.

Fri, June 29.  Ray got home from Utah. Ivard got called back to Nampa to work.

Sat, June 30.  Ray got in at 12:30 AM from Utah & Ivard was to work so he came home in taxi. I spent all day going over the 500 pennies for my collection & Ivard helped bag them. Jackie had her picture taken in her easter outfit.

No comments: