Excerpts from the January and February 1961 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Thurs, Jan 26. Ivard cut Jerrys hair & put Jackies hair up in curlers.
Fri, Jan 27. I came home from work, have tonite & tomorrow nite off. We played a game of Scrabble Then Ivard - Jerry - Gene & Ray went in to Stake House & Ivards team played ball & won they are in tournment now.
Sat, Jan 28. Gene was 17 yrs old today. Ivard got up & milked & let him sleep. I went to town at 11: & got Genes decorated birthday cake & icecream & groc. Came home & Ray had a choc. cake & a spice cake made & I frosted them & made my big Kettle full of chilli. Four girls came to Genes birthday party & hid upstairs when Gene got home & he about passed out he was so surprised. There were 7 boys came & with Jerry & Ray & Gene there were 12 of them & Ivard took them to Givins Swimming. When they got back I had table set in front room & they had chilli - cocoa -icecream & cake & opened presents. Ray took pictures.
Sun, Jan 29. I took Jerry - Gene - Ray & Dale to conference & Dean stayed home with Jackie, shes sick. Came home at noon & ate & Ivard - Dean Jerry, Gene Ray & I went to afternoon session & Dale stayed with Jackie - Gail & Lynda came while we were gone but didn't stay long Dale said. Conference was sure good. Bishop Joseph L. Wirthlin, presideing bishop of church & Glen L. Rudd, director of Welfare square were up.
Mon, Jan 30. Jerry washed cloths, cooked a roast & had supper ready when Ivard & Kids got home.
Tues, Jan 31. Dean started takeing Saxaphone lessons. I came home from work & ate & read paper & made some pop corn & Ivard & I played Scrabble until noon. I didn't feel like going to relief S.
Wed, Feb 1. real foggy comeing home & stayed that way all day. I woke up at 1:30 & Ivard took Jerry in to Dr., he sent him to hospital for blood test, said he had cronic appendix.
Thurs, Feb 2. Kay got home from school. I didn't feel like going to work again. I went to bed early & Ivard - Jerry- Gene & Ray & Dean went & watched start of church tournment.
Fri, Feb 3. Kids went to school & we visited & showed Jerry our home movies. This afternoon Ivard & I took Kay to town & got his cloths for mission 3 pr. shoes, overcoat, suit, shirts. We came home & got ready & all went in to church to Elders banquet & ate at 6: Gail, Lynda & Kids came just before we left & they went with us. After we ate we all went to Stake house to Church tournment. Kids got beat and Ivard's team won.
Sat, Feb 4. Kay - Dean & I went to town & got Dean some patches for his scout suit. Jerry fixed supper & we ate. We all went to the Stake house at 7: to 2nd round of church tourn. Kids won.
Sun, Feb 5. Pump broke & Ivard had to haul water in cans. Gene did chores & took Ray over to Bishops to go to early meeting. At 10:15 Ivard - Jerry - Kay & Gene went to Priesthood. At 11:30 Dean, Jackie & I went to sunday school & fast meeting after. Dale had croup & stayed home alone. Dean gave 2 1/2 min. talk.
Mon, Feb 6. Dale home sick. Kay went & saw Bishop & got his farewell programe ready.
Tues, Feb 7. We all went to Nampa at 7: & they droped me off at church for genelogy meeting & the rest of them went to Stake House to tournment.
Wed, Feb 8. Dean was home sick. Kay & Jerry went to Dr. in Nampa, he wants Jerry to be operated on for appendix they went to Boise & put Kays farewell notice in paper.
No comments:
Post a Comment