The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the October and November 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Thurs, Oct 27.  I came home from work & got Kids & took them to school. Ivard was home & gone to do beets again. I ate & went to bed until 2: then I took Jerry in to Dr. he didn't see him, left after sitting an hr & half. I took Jackie & bought her 2 pr. shoes & lad her away a Xmas dress & took her to Primary.

Fri, Oct 28.  I made 3 pumpkin pies & 4 pie shells & Jerry made chilli. I laid down an hr. & got Jackie to sleep then I went to town & got feed & Ray & Dean went & got stuff to decorage for haloween then they decorated front room. My & Ivards nite off. We all went to foot ball game but Dean, Dale & Jackie Homecomeing, beat Twin Falls It really poured on us on & off. had nice half time 26 floats & 11 queen canidates.

Sat, Oct 29.  Jerry - Gene & Kids cleaned the garage most of day. I made 4 lemon pies & washed cloths & iorned all day. This afternoon Jerry & I went to town & got favors & stuff for Jackies birthday party. Gene & Ray went to Stake dance.

Sun, Oct 30.  We all got ready & went to Stake Conference but Ivard & Jackie. It sure was good. Harold B. Lee was up. We came home & hurried & fixed lunch & Ivard & Jackie went with us to afternoon Session. Jerry had to talk this afternoon. Made gum drop men for favors for Jackies party.

Mon, Oct 31.  Jackie is 4 today. I came home from work. I laid down an hr then went to town & got Jackies haloween birthday cake & 2 dz. cup cakes & icecream & came home & Jerry had house all cleaned up. At 2:15 Lynda brought Debbie, Jeff & Kristine to Jackies Party & at 2:45 Helen Kotter came & brought all the other Kids & we had Jackies Party 9 girls & 4 boys they had a lot of fun & got a lot of things. We gave her table & chair set, chrome. gave each girl a watch & the boys a stage coach & they were really tickled. We had a family party & barbacue & Gene took little Kids trick or treeting then him Jerry & Ray went to Mutual Party.

Tues, Nov 1.  I came home from work & Jackie & I went to relief society. then we went to bank & I started a new Pioneer checking account. Jerry washed & cooked supper.

Wed, Nov 2.  I came home from work & Ivard was home & laying down. Jerry & I had a malted milk & I took pick-up in to service station to have brakes fixed. They let me take a pick-up to come home in & I went in at 5:30 & got ours & picked up Gene & neighbor from ball practice.

No comments: