Excerpts from the July 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Wed, July 13. I got up at 3:00 & took Gene in to Stake House to go to Temple at Idaho Falls. We were supposed to go to Boise to Dr. but Leva couldn't so I called them for an appointment for next week & had them send me enough pills to last.
Thurs, July 14. We ate & Ivard took Dean, Dale & Jackie in to Primary, the first time Jackie gone, and he went to the dentist. He picked them up & brought them home at noon. Ivard & all the Kids went in to Stake House & Kids played ball. I had a bath & got some groc. & went in & watched most of game then Kids came home & Ivard & I went to Terrace Drive-Inn to show "Portraite in Black" wasn't so hot.
Fri, July 15. I took Ray over to Jones's to go to Dr. with him for Scout Camp examination. Ivard got him a fishing licence. I worked on genelogy 6 hrs Ray went ward teaching
Sat, July 16. Ivard got up & milked & Gene set water & they packed & at 6:10 I took them in to Popeltons & they went on a fishing trip up to primitive Area up by Atlanta for 3 days. I talked to Mrs Popelton awhile & came home & went back to bed awhile until Kids woke up. We were supposed to go to 70's Steak fry tonite but I didn't want to go alone.
Sun, July 17. Ray milked Kay & Ray went to Priesthood & Kay came home after. I had a bath & me & Kids went to sunday school. Ray helped me get dinner & they did dishes & I got Jackie to sleep and worked on my genelogy. Ray milked then we all got ready & went to church. After church we drove over to A&W & Ray bought us all a root beer & pop corn. Ray got packed ready to go to Scout Camp tomorrow.
Mon, July 18. I got up at 4: A.M & took Ray in to church to go to Camp Billy Rice for a week. I stayed until they left. Ivard & Gene got home from their fishing trip just as Kay was going to milk at 6: so Gene milked. Ivard didn't get any fish but Gene cought 7.
Tues, July 19. Dean was 11 today. at 9:45 Ivard went in to dentist & Dale & I went shopping for Deans birthday presents & party favors. got a decorated birthday cake & icecream. Came home & Dean had dishes done & house cleaned up. I made punch & Dean fixed the games. At 2:30 the Garner, Kotter, Perry & Butler boy came & we had Deans party. It was 111 degrees at Boise today, hottest since they've kept records in the 1800s
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment