Excerpts from the June 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Wed, June 22. Gail came over & took Pick-up & left his car for few days. Told us Phyllis Bair Mitchell got killed. Kay went to Bishops to a Priest Party & I took Gene over when he got home. Kids did beets until noon.
Thurs, June 23. We got laid off this morning until fall. I didn't tell anyone. I laid down an hr. & got Jackie to sleep then I got up & embroideried Mike on 2: took Dean in to Perrys to Mikes birthday party. I just got to bed at 10: when I got called back to Simplots for a pkg. line to finish up.
Fri, June 24. We got through at 7: A.M & got laid off until fall. I got up at 3:30 & Dean & I went to Caldwell to opening of new Albertsons. We went to 4 stores & got their bargains. We were out of everything. Had to borrow $30. I spent from Gene & Kay.
Sat, June 25. Ivard came home from work & cultivated. Kay went to work & Kids did beets until noon. Ivard came in at 11: & bathed & I bathed & got ready & we to Nyssa to funeral home & saw Phylis then we went & got Gail & Lynda & went to Stake house to funeral, sure was a big one. took Gail home & had straw berry short cake We brought Debbie home to stay all night. Gene took a girl to Stake Dance, went with John.
Sun, June 26. Debbie & Jackie woke up about 6: & got dressed & were just leaving on a hike when Gene got home from Wallys. We had to watch them like a hawk, they were determined to go. We finally promised them they could go to park for hike. Ivard, Gene, Kay & Ray went to Priesthood & Ivard & Kay came home after, me & Kids went to sunday school. I made barbacue & trimmings & we ate out on lawn when Gail & Lynda came then Ivard & I & Gail & Lynda took Jackie & Debbie in to Park & they all went walking but me & I read & watched baby.
Mon, June 27. Ivard finished planting garden. We had a dish of icecream & all of us went over to Melba & played ball, the Kids won & so did Ivard but it was a forfite because all their players werent there on time. We got home at 11: & had icecream & went to bed.
Tues, June 28. Kay went to work before I was up & Kids & Ivard did beets until noon. Jackie was a half mile up road tonite hunting her little dog. She was crying when Kids got her. It came back.
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment