The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the June 1960 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.

Wed, June 15.  Ivard took Dean over to Smalls at 9:30 to go to camporee at Stake House all day. Gene & Ray were over to Wallys working when I got home & Kay was at Max's, he got done until Monday.

Thurs, June 16.  I came home from work & Ivard had taken Gene & Ray over to Wally to work, their last day, each earned $25. got paid. Mrs Barlow came & took Dean & Dale to Primary. Dean had potatoes on & hamberger cooked for gravy & I got up & made it. At 6:30 I took Ray, Dean, Dale, & Jackie in to Pix & saw "Greatest Show on Earth"

Fri, June 17.  Ivard got father Day card from Lyle & Jerry I came home from work & Ivard drove in right after me. I read paper & washed 3 batches of cloths & made a meat pie with biscuits on top, for dinner. Gene got hay raked & Ray & Dean hoed beets.

Sat, June 18.  I stoped to last lite in Caldwell & car stoped on me & I had to get pushed so I took Venice home & went back to Dobbs & had a new battery & new points put in. I got home at 10: Kay was over to Hennis's & all the Kids hoed beets. Ivard went to check water at 10:30 & went on to town instead of baleing hay. I called Stockman at 4:15 & he said he'd be home in 15 min. It was 6:30 when he came & I was so mad I wouldn't speak to him. He'd been over to Caldwell sale & seeing Art Jerome until 4:, I found out later. I went to Drive Inn & saw 2 shows.

Sun, June 19 [Father's Day].  I got up at 10: & Gene & Kay & Ray were just leaving for priesthood, Ivard didn't go I was mad at him & never spoke to him all day. I got ready & Dean, Dale & I went to sunday school & Jackie stayed home with Ivard. Came home & fixed hambergers & all the trimmings & made punch & ate out on lawn. Gail, Lynda & Kids came right after we got home & gave Ivard a set of Allen wrenches & the Kids gave him a good set of Badminton & a brief case with his name on.

Mon, June 20.  Ivard came home from Boise & baled hay all day & finished, all but 1/2 row, ran out of string. Ray, Dean, & John Popelton did beets until noon. Ray made beds & got dishes done. Dean & Dale put away cloths.

Tues, June 21.  Got letter from Jerry I came home from work & Ivard had just got home. I washed a batch of cloths & ate & at 9:30 Ivard & I went to bed & loved.

No comments: