Excerpts from the April 1959 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915-1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on a 40-acre farm in the Deer Flat area south of Nampa, Idaho.
Mon, Apr 20. I came home from work & changed & packed a bag & we left for Manan to help mother move. left at 9:30. We got up to Mothers at 3:30 & she wasn't there so we went back over to Minnies & she wasn't there either so we went over to Bud's & pretty soon Mother & Ken got there from Utah so we went on over to her place. I was dead, working all night & rideing all day.
Tues, Apr 21. Gail & Lynda had baby boy. We got up & ate. I sure slept, even lost my teeth in bed for first time since I had them. Ivard & Ken loaded all mothers stuff in Pick-up & U-haul. We packed dishes & bottles for me & we had our pick-up loaded with stuff Mother gave us.
Wed, Apr 22. We got up at 6: & Minnie got breakfast & we ate & Ken left for home at 7: We did dishes & we left at 7:30 & mother came with us. We had a tire wreck at Craters of Moon then we stoped at Bliss & ate. We got home at 3:30 & I took Mother & we went & got Kids from school.
Thurs, Apr 23. I came home from work & went to bed and mother tended Jackie. I really slept. Jackie came to bed with me for her nap & I didn't even know it. I got up at 4:30 & made meat loaf & Ray baked potatoes & cooked cauliflower & carrots & peas & made cookies & we ate at 7:
Fri, Apr 24. I came home from work & put stew meat on & we went to bed. I got up at 1: & put Veg. in stew & at 4: I went & got Kids from school & we ate & Ivard & I left for Adrian & went up to Ad's & got Kids clothes. We were going to see Lynda & new baby but they'd gone back to Vale. We went to ball game & Marshing beat by 1 point It was tied 2 innings. Gene stayed over to Ad's to work.
Sat, Apr 25. We ate & I iorned awhile then at 10: Mother Kay & I went to Nampa & ordered Kay a 5 rose corsage then went to Caldwell & Kay got a beautiful suit at Adrians for $85. then he got a white shirt & belt & they gave him a 2.50 tie. He got a $17. pr. dress shoes. Came home & he bathed & he left for Adrian at 6: for Junior Prom & banquet. My nite off.
Sun, Apr 26. We ate & Ivard, Kay & Ray went to Priesthood in pick up and Mother & all the rest of us went to sunday school at 10:15. Ivard had to go ward teaching after & as he was pulling out from curb he hit a car & bashed whole side of it in & our front fender. Came home & I fried shrimp & Mother french fried onions & we ate & Ivard left for work at 2:45. At 5: Mother & I took Kay back to Adrian & talked to Gene awhile.
The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment