The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the November 1962 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on Colorado Avenue in Nampa, Idaho.

Thurs, Nov 1.  Jerry went job hunting & took an aptitute test at unemployment office. Mother is going home tomorrow so I laid off & we visited tonite.

Fri, Nov 2.  Ivard bid on a day job, vacation vacancy for 2 weeks & worked his first day today. At 4:30 Jerry left for Utah & took Mother home. Ivard & I went up & registered to vote.

Sat, Nov 3.  We got up at 4:30 AM & Ivard & I, Dean, Dale & Jackie left for Rexburg at 4:50. We stoped in Arco & had breakfast & got to Gene's at 11: but he had already gone to gym to rest before game. We went to game, started at 1:30 today. B.J.C. beat Ricks 23 to 14. Gene got hurt just as game ended, carried him off on stretcher. We went up to gym & Ivard went in for about hr. & Gene walked out with him. We left for home at 7: Got home at 12:30.

Sun, Nov 4.  Ivard & I got up at 12:30 & went to Testimony meeting & took Dale & Jackie, didn't wake up early enough to go to Sunday school. Dean went collecting Fast offerings then to Priesthood, S.S. & testimony meeting. After church we all went & had a Polio shot (3 drops on lump of Sugar) - Ivard & I, Dean Dale & Jackie.

Mon, Nov 5.  Gail & Lynda had baby girl. Jerry got home from Utah. Ray went to foot Dr & he operated on both his big toes. Ray has to lay with his feet up.

Tues, Nov 6.  Ray was home in bed all day with his feet & teeth. I took Jackie to Dancing class, after I brought her home  & went & voted then I went to hospital to see Lynda & baby, looks like the rest of them. Jerry & Ivard went & voted.

Wed, Nov 7.  I came home from work froze to death. I turned blanket on high & went to bed. Rays head still pains so he went back to Dr Lee & he ex-rayed all his teeth & he had a cavity on inside of a top & bottom tooth, he'll go & have them fixed in morning. Aunt Vene called from Boise & said Uncle Ward died this morning.

Thurs, Nov 8.  Gail left at noon to take Lynda home from hospital. Ray was at Dentist when I got home, got 2 teeth filled.

Fri, Nov 9.  Ray went to foot Dr. at 1: He went to work at 3:30, first time this week. Hes been in bed all week with his feet & head (teeth).

Sat, Nov 10.  Jerry & Dale went Xmas card selling. Dean scrubbed & waxed floors & cleaned house. I don't feel good, bad cold. My nite off.

Sun, Nov 11.  Jerry & Dean went to Priesthood & Sunday school, Ivard took Dale up to S.S & went to store for me. I cooked dinner & we ate when they got home. I wrote to Gene, Lyle & Kay & Ivard took me up to R.R. to mail them.

Mon, Nov 12.  Ivard went to Caldwell at 1:30 to Nampa, Caldwell game & got home at 4:45. Jerry made potatoe soup & Dean made blackberry upside down cake & we ate at 5:30. No Mutual. Jerry & Dale went selling cards.

Tues, Nov 13.  I came home from work & went to bed. I got up at 2:00 & took Jerry up to work at D.Q. from 2:30 to close. Ivard worked all day. At 3:15 I took Jackie to dancing class & at 6: I took Ray to work at Dairy queen till close.

Wed, Nov 14.  Jerry went to a Party. Dale went to cub Scouts.

Thurs, Nov 15.  Lady called & said they were going up after her daughter & would bring Gene home so I wrote him & told him. Jerry & Ray went ward teaching.

Fri, Nov 16.  Gail & family was here, stayed all afternoon. We droped in at our ward Bizzar. Dean had Sat. work done.

Sat, Nov 17.  First snow storm.

Sun, Nov 18.  Sunny - nice day - snow melted. I came home from work & went to bed at 9: & got up at 11: I cooked a round steak with Potatoes & carrots under. We ate at 2: when Kids got home. Jerry had to speak at 2nd Ward with high council.

Mon, Nov 19.  Ray had feet operated on. Got letter from Kay.

Tues, Nov 20.  I came home from work & went to bed at 10: Ivard was in bed too, he doesn't feel good. I woke up at 1: Ray feels pretty good but dizzy.

Wed, Nov 21.  I came home from work & Ivard was gone breaking to New Meadows until tomorrow nite. We have the next 4 nites off. Jackie tended Ray. I went & got $25. worth of groc. got a 16 lb. turkey. Sis & I ground cranberries & made relish & ground bread crumbs & made 3 big carrot puddings. Dale went to Cub Scouts. Mrs. Kotter called & said Gene had hitch hiked home so I called Rexburg but Mrs. Peterson said he left Monday then I was worried. Gene just walked in while I was talking.

Thurs, Nov 22.  We had breakfast & I made cranberry Jello salad & put Turkey in to roast. We played games. About 4: here come Gail Lynda & Kids, uninvited, I was mad. They brought Gene & stayed for Thanksgiving dinner. Gene got home from Rexburg Monday nite & went on to Nyssa.

Fri, Nov 23.  I have such a cold & its settled in my Sinus' I feel awful.

Sat, Nov 24.  Jerry made waffles for breakfast & I cooked them. Dean cleaned house. Ivard got home at 9: from New Meadows & went right to bed, been drinking. We all went to bed about 10:30 after I packed Genes suitcase. My last nite off.

Sun, Nov 25.  Gene went back to Rexburg. I got up at 4:15 A.M. & fixed Gene & Marvin breakfast & at 4:35 Kotters came & took them & Kurt to Boise to catch the bus for Rexburg. Ivard took Ray & Dean to Priesthood & went up to Rail Road & placed himself on Herder job. He came home & got ready & him & Dale went to Sunday school.  I laid off, didn't feel like going to work.

Mon, Nov 26.  I got up & fixed breakfast & Dean & Dale went to school. Ray went back today. I don't feel good, didn't do any thing all day. I addressed Xmas cards. Ray went to Dr. & had his bandages changed. Jerry & Dale went card selling. I went to bed until time to go to work. I still don't feel very good.

Tues, Nov 27.  I came home from work & went to bed at 9:30. Ivard was to work. Jerry tended Jackie. I got up at 3: & took Jackie to dance class.

Wed, Nov 28.  Came home & I went to bed, but I never could go to sleep not one second today. Dean fixed hot cakes for supper.

Thurs, Nov 29.  Got letter from Kay. Ray had stitches out of feet. I came home from work & went to bed at 10: Woke up at 12:30 & that was all the sleep I got today, 2 1/2 hrs & none yesterday.

Fri, Nov 30.  Ivard took car up to Dobbs at 8: AM & they had it all day relineing brakes. I came home from work & went to bed until 3: My nite off.

No comments: