Excerpts from the March 1962 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on Colorado Avenue in Nampa, Idaho.
Thurs, Mar 1. I came home from work & went right to bed at 9: & got up at 2:30. Ivard took Sis to Primary. I made a rice pudding for breakfast. Ray went to work after school he went to high school tonite to ball game. It was snowing so hard when I left for work I could hardly find the road, 2 in deep.
Fri, Mar 2. The roads were real slick when I came home from work but it melted off in awhile. Gail came a few min. on way home from Boise. My nite off.
Sat, Mar 3. I got up late. Jerry & Ray had both gone to work. Gail, Gene, Jeff & Kristine came at 11: & went home at 4: Ivard rode with Gail & Gene when Gail went to see about a job milking cows. he got job if he wants it, to start Monday morning, he has to decide with Lynda. My nite off.
Sun, Mar 4. I laid in bed & got my Sunday school lesson. Ivard, Jerry, Ray & Dean went to Priesthood. I made a meat loaf in oven & got ready & Dale, Jackie & I went to Sunday school and fast & Testimony meeting. Ivard bore his testimony. Jackie gave 2 1/2 min. talk. We came home at 2: & Jerry & Dean finished getting dinner.
Mon, Mar 5. Gail started new job. Milking cows over here by Nampa. Ray came home from school & went to work & from there to Mutual. We ate & Jerry & Dean went to Mutual.
Tues, Mar 6. I came home from work and ate & went to bed. I woke up at 1: but laid in bed until 2: then got up & we went to Boise & Ivard went to Dr., he said that he could go back to work the 15th.
Wed, Mar 7. Gail was here all day, between work. Dale went to cub Scouts. I took Jackie to dance lesson at 12:45. Ivard went to Boise to Sunvita meeting this afternoon and again tonite.
Thurs, Mar 8. Gail went home today between work & brought Lynda & Kids back to see a house out by his work. Ivard & I went over to Stake House to genelogy class & Ivard Kept telling me off & I bawled so I wouldn't go in. I came home & went back to bed. Awful hard wind for little while blew a tree across road out by Allens & when Dean came home from Swimming Party at Givins they hit it & shattered wind shield, no one got hurt bad.
Fri, Mar 9. I cam home from work and went right to bed and never got up until 4: then I went up & paid car & put some money in my Savings and got groc. Gail spent afternoon here.
Sat, Mar 10. I came home from work & cooked hot cakes & made cocoa then went to bed at 10: Gail came after he got threw milking & stayed then went to work at 4: got back at 7: & we ate & him & Ivard went to basketball tournment. He stayed all nite. Jerry came home from work at 12:30 & ate & went on a date.
Sun, Mar 11. Gail brought Debbie this afternoon to spend a few days.
Mon, Mar 12. I came home from work and went right to bed. I woke up at 1:30 & couldn't go back to sleep. I got supper & Ivard went & got Jerry & we ate and Ivard, Jerry & Dean went to Mutual. Ray went to work after school and went to Mutual from there.
Tues, Mar 13. I came home from work and went right to bed. Ivard tended Debbie and Jackie.
Wed, Mar 14. I came home from work sick. I laid off for next 2 nites, that time of month. Ivard started back at R. R. after being off 9 mo. Had to go to Glenns Ferry.
Thurs, Mar 15. I got up & took Jerry to work. I sure feel awful. Gail took Debbie home today.
Fri, Mar 16. I started back to Dr. Cudmore today. Gail left for work at 3:30 & I called about some places for rent for him. At 5:30 Ivard walked in, got a ride up so came to go to relief society party with me. We went & saw about a couple of houses for Gail then went up to church to supper, real good, fried chicken & home made icecream. I took Ivard up to R.R to meet a guy at 9: & go back to Glenns Ferry. Jerry & Ray went ward teaching.
Sat, Mar 17. Gene, Lynda & Kids came about the same time Gail got here from milking & they went & looked at houses - rented one out by Midway.
Sun, Mar 18. Gail moved to Nampa. I got my Sunday school lesson. Jerry, Ray and Dean went to Priesthood & sunday school. At 11:30 I took Jackie & Dale & went to prayer meeting & Sunday school. Came home and fixed dinner & we ate then Dean & Ray made a cake & I made a Kettle of spagetti & a bowl of salad and Jerry, Dean, Dale, Jackie & I took it over to Gails new house. They were sure hungry.
Mon, Mar 19. I was so tired I went right to bed and never woke up until 5:30 then some one woke me. I wrote to Kay. Gene came home tonite.
Tues, Mar 20. I came home from work and Ivard & Jackie had gone to Adrian to take Gene to school. Hes going to stay over in Haney's house (empty) Gail left him a bed. They came home at 10:30 & ate & took off over to Gails until 1: then they came home & ate lunch & Sis had a nap & Ivard came to bed with me.
Wed, Mar 21. Ivard went back to Glenns Ferry. I came home from work & went right to bed. I took Jackie to dancing lesson. Dale went to Cub Scouts. Jerry went to show in Boise.
Thurs, Mar 22. At 4: I took Ray to work & Jackie to Primary then got groc. & at 5: I went & got Kids from Primary and went to bed until time to go to work.
Fri, Mar 23. I came home from work and washed some cloths & Jackie went to bed with me but I never did get to sleep. I had such a pain in my side. When she woke up at noon we got up & ate and started up town & tire went bump - bump so I took in to Don's & run it up on rack & it had a bump a foot long so I took it back to Wards & got a new tire for $9.75, we'd had it a yr. Then we went to Dobbs & had them work on starter, it wouldn't work again.
Sat, Mar 24. Ivard came from Glenns Ferry right after I got home, got a ride up. We went to bed at 10: Ivard got up about 1: but I never got up until 5: The Mutual went to Givins Swimming. Ray came home & could hardly walk he'd jumped off in shallow end & hurt his pelvis. Ivard went back to Glenns Ferry to work.
Sun, Mar 25. I came home from work & went to bed & got my Sunday school lesson & slept an hr then got up and had a shower & Ray came & took Dale, Jackie & I to Sunday school.
Mon, Mar 26. Ray stayed home from school with his hip & laid down all day. I took him up to see Dr. Ross at 5:30, he has to go have ex-ray in morning. Ivard got home from Glenns Ferry for his 2 days off. I went to bed at 10:30 & got up at 5: Kids went to Mutual.
Tues, Mar 27. Ivard took Ray to hospital at 10:30 & had his pelvis exrayed, notheing was broken. It hurts him a lot & he stayed in bed all day. I got up this afternoon & Ivard, Jackie & I went up & got a bed spread for Lynda's birthday & Ivard went to Dr.
Wed, Mar 28. I got up at noon & took Jackie to dancing. Jerry came from work & fixed supper. Ray went to school & passed out & vomited so teacher brought him home & I kept him in bed all day. He took a double dose of paine Pills, didnt go to work. Dale went to Cub Scouts.
Thurs, Mar 29. I came home & took Ray to school then I washed 4 batches of cloths & hung all outside but socks, had all my lines full. I went to bed at 1: Got up at 3: & took Jackie to Primary. Went & got Jerry at 6: and we ate & I went to bed until time to go to work. I was so tired.
Fri, Mar 30. Jackie & I went to bed at 1:30 & at 3:30 we got up & took Ray to work & we went & bought Jackie a new green dress for Easter, a pr of white sandals, a white hat & unbrella perse & slip, a pr red slacks & a pr of fancy slacks & shirt to match then we got Ivard 2 shirts for his birthday.
Sat, Mar 31. A woman called from New York to say she'd met Kay in Peru & he was fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment