The Cleverly Newsletter has been published in hard copy since September 1973 and online since October 2008.

Currently posted the first day of each month by Ivard and Dorothy's seventh son, Dean B Cleverly. Comments, suggestions, contributions welcomed at dcleverly@gmail.com.

Friday, September 30, 2011

5 Our family 50 years ago

Excerpts from the October 1961 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on Montana Avenue in Nampa, Idaho.

Sun, Oct 1.  Gene got up & went to Nyssa to church all day at Owyhee ward. Wasn't any sunday school on account of General conference. We listened to it & played Scrabble. Ivard, & Kids went to church & Jackie & I went to bed.

Mon, Oct 2.  We had supper & Dean did chores. Ray came home from school & went to work & went to Mutual from there. Gene didn't go, he had to go out & do Wally's chores. Ivard - Jerry & Dean went to Mutual.

Tues, Oct 3.  Went to relief society at 10: a wonderful lesson by Ruth Butler. Theology - a very inspireing testimonial. I came home & took Jackie to her dance lesson, came home and run the grapes through Ivard had cooked & bottled 9 qts juice.

Thurs, Oct 5.  Ivard killed & cleaned 2 chickens.

Fri, Oct 6.  Ivard went to Burley to game. I listened to foot ball game we won 20 to 18. Half the broadcast was Gene. Ivard got home at 12:30. Gail, Lynda & Kids went too.

Sat, Oct 7.  Ivard went back to work first time since June 11.

Mon, Oct 9.  Kids didn't have to go to school today, teachers Institute. Dean did chores & went to Mutual with Jerry & Ray.

Tues, Oct 10.  I came home from work & went right to bed. I got up at 12:30 & took Jackie to dance practice. Dean went to Givens to swimming party. Gene fixed dinner & baked potatoes & fixed peas for dinner & he went to work at 3:50. Ivard had a batch of apples peeled & I bottled 9 qts.

Wed, Oct 11.  I came home & got ready & went to relief society work day, me & Jackie, at 10: They had it today on account of no school yesterday. We had a real good dinner & I worked on dish towels. Ivard had apples peeled & I bottled 15 qts. Took Ray to work. Dale went to cub scouts. Jerry went away.

Thurs, Oct 12.  I came home from work & went to bed I was so tired. When I woke up Ivard had the rest of apples peeled and I got up and made 8 apple pies & a big bowl of salad & cooked port stake & squash. Kids went to Primary & Dale to little legue practice.

Fri, Oct 13.  I got up this afternoon and made chilli for after the game. Put 5 pies in freezer that I made last nite. We ate & Gene went to ball game at 7: We went at 8: & Gail, Lynda & Glen Ward came & set with us. Borah beat us 41 to 12. Gene made a 67 yard run for one of our T. D. he was the whole game. He got his front tooth broke off.

Sat, Oct 14.  Gene got home from Nyssa & Ivard took him to dentist, Dr. Lee, & he put a silver cap on his front tooth he broke last nite in game.

Sun, Oct 15.  Gene & Ray went to church at Owyhee & didn't come home until after I'd gone to work. Jerry & Dean went to Priesthood & Sunday school & Jerry came & got Dale & Jackie for sunday school. Dean did dishes & I made some no-bake cookies. Dean milked. Jerry - Dean & Dale went to church.

Tues, Oct 17.  I came home from work & went to bed & never did get up & go to relief society. I got up at 2:30. I cooked supper & we ate when Jerry came. Ray was to work. I took Dale up to rodeo Park for little legue game. He came home with his coach.

Fri, Oct 20.  Ivard, Ray, Gail & Lynda went to foot ball game & Dean & Dale tended Kids. I listened to game on radio. We beat Pocotello 7-6. I got up when they got home & had pie & icecream.

Sat, Oct 21.  I got up & washed cloths nearly all day. I feel awful. About 3: Jerry & Gene sneaked their sunday cloths out & went to Nyssa for week end. Ray worked all day. Ivard & Kids fixed bikes all morning. Gene went up to school & got in Whirl pool for his sore leg. Plant was down for 3 days, didn't have to work.

Sun, Oct 22.  Ray & Dean went to priesthood & sunday school & Ray came home & got Dale & Jackie. When Kids got home we had dinner. Ivard went to work at 3:45.

Mon, Oct 23.  I iorned most of day. I still don't feel good. Ray came home from school & went to work. Dale went to ball practice in Raine, came home soaked. Dean milked. Jerry, Gene, Ray & Dean went to Mutual.

Tues, Oct 24.  Jerry got up & took Ray to Seminary, does every morning. I didn't go to relief society, too much to do today. I went back to work at 11: [p.m.]

Wed, Oct 25.  I came home from work & went to bed. no fuel oil & no money. I gathered up wood & made a fire in fire place tonite to warm up place. I got up at 12: & got ready & took Jackie to her dancing lesson, borrowed a heating pad from Mrs Kotter for Genes sore leg (muscles). Dale came home from school & went to Cub scouts. He had to furnish the treats & bought them on the way.

Thurs, Oct 26.  Came home from work & went to bed. cloudy & rainy all day.  Got Ivards Ins. check & got some fuel oil & made a fire & got warmed up, havn't had one for 2 days. Ivard bought a roast & came home & cooked it. I didn't sleep very good today, cold.

Fri, Oct 27.  I came home from work & messed around. Went to bed at 10:30 but Kept getting woke up. Gene came home for lunch & he left for Twin Falls about 2: with team. He didn't even take his suit, his leg too bad. They got beat 10 to 0, He got home at 1: A.M. Jerry tok Ray to Adrians home comeing game then Ray stayed the week-end with Gail.

Sat, Oct 28.  Gene left for Nyssa at 8: for week end. Ivard got up & did chores, he doesn't feel good. Dale & I went up town & got Jackies birthday presents & Dale some school things. We ate dinner at 3: & Ivard left for work at 3:45. Dean cleaned his bed room & the front room & Kitchen & did dishes & chores. Dean poped us some corn. My nite off.

Sun, Oct 29.  Ivard got up & did chores & had a bath & came back to bed, he has stomach flue. Jerry - Dean & Dale went to Conference. I had a bath & Jackie & Kids came home & took us to Conference. Ivard didn't feel like going. It was real good, Gordon B. Hinckley was up.

Mon, Oct 30.  Got letter from Kay. Kids got home from Nyssa just in time for school, Ray missed Seminary. Ivard feels awful - stomache flue. Roto-Rooter came & pumped 2 loads out of septic tank, $30. Johnson Electric came to see about hooking up dryer & we will have to rewire & put in new panal, $125. I went to bed at 4: & Dean got supper then Jerry, Gene, Ray & Dean went to Mutual haloween Party.

Tues, Oct 31.  Jackie was 5. Jackie got birthday card & $1. from Mother. I came home from work & read paper, made cinnamon apple, Jello salad & baked beans for supper. I went to bed at 11: & got up at 2: & we went & Pd. place & got Jackies birthday cake & icecream, picked Dale up at school. Ivard went to work & Dale went to his last little legue ball game. I made 2 meat loaves & when Jerry came we had Jackies birthday supper.  baked beans, Jello salad, cottage cheese, meat loag, olives & potatoe chips & cidar Jerry Bought. We didn't even cut cake, fancy haloween decorated one, or have any icecream, every one was too full. Dean, Dale & Jackie went Trick or treeting after we opened her presents. 6 pr. pantys, 5 pr anklets, 3 dollars, coin purse, 2 books, paint book, crayons, tablet, sewing card & dance bag for her things.

No comments: