Excerpts from the May 1961 diary of Dorothy Batt Cleverly (1915–1982). The full text of her diary can be found online at Dorothy's Idaho Diaries and is updated daily, exactly 50 years to the day after it was originally written. The family at the time lived on Montana Avenue in Nampa, Idaho.
Thurs, May 18. Jackie & I went to Primary. They had a special Mothers day programe & lunch on. There were 40 of us.
Fri, May 19. Kids went to Seminary (Gene & Ray). They started over a week ago. Income tax refund came so we went to bank & paid Dobbs $200. on repaire bill then we went over to Nyssa to see Gail. At 7: Jerry called & said Bill & Jean had come & gone to Boise & would be back so we hurried right home.
Sat, May 20. Jerry worked for boss's wife until 6: doing yard. Ray went to practice piano tonite & ward teaching.
Sun, May 21. Ray went to Priesthood. Ray came home & took little Kids to sunday school. We ate at 3: & all of us went out to Pinsters to Rays first Piano recital.
Mon, May 22. I called Stockman 3 times & Ivard said he'd be right home, once I told him there was no one to milk, but he never did come. I was sure mad at Ivard.
Tues, May 23. We were awake until 3: AM talking & me bawling, makeing up.
Wed, May 24. Gene left for Nyssa at 4: A.M to work for Gail, he's sick. Jackie was sick.
Thurs, May 25. Don't feel very good. Jackie - Dean & I went to church at 7:30 to Dales Cub Scout Pack meeting.
Fri, May 26. Got cold tonite, had fire in fireplace. Last day of school, they all passed.
Sat, May 27. Gene went to Nyssa to work for Summer for Carl Simpson. Kids had to wear coats out to play.
Sun, May 28. Marv. & Lorraine came from Utah. Jerry & Ray were just leaving for Priesthood when Marv. called to see where we lived so Ivard went up & met him & brought them down, Loraine & I went to sunday school with little kids. Jackie had to give closeing prayer. After dinner Ivard & I, Dean, Dale & Jackie took them out to see our old place & the lake.
Mon, May 29. Marv & Loraine left for Idaho Falls at 7:30 to go to Temple.
Tues, May 30. No one had to work today & we all laid in bed late. It was cloudy most of day & cool. I fixed picnic lunech & we ate at 5:30. All of us but Jerry went to Kuna to play ball. Kids got beat by Marshing 1 point. Comeing home Ivard missed the first curve on a cork screw curve & went off road through big boulders & pile of lumber. blew out new tire & wrecked a rim, scared us to death.
Wed, May 31. Ivard, Dean & Dale hoed garden.
No comments:
Post a Comment